setting up a website

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Stephen Kay » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:09 pm
I would like information on instruction and software to set up a business consulting website, with an FTP document server and if believed too complex for a beginner some references to local website designers. Thank You.
by gp1628 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:30 am
Do you have a business flyer? handout? yellow page ad? even a business card?
Scan that in. Thats a webpage.

What type of documents? Make a subdirectory called documents and load them there. Thats an FTP document server.
Something like this... http://www.dom3minions.com/docs/
text files view, certain images will view, others will download. All can be downloaded by right-click instead of view

OK that is a basic starting point and now we can get into why those wont fill your needs if you want more.
Want more color? Want a link they can click to get contact info, or a pricelist, or go to a page of customer comments? Do you want the FTP files more limited in who can access them? Would you like to add a picture gallery? a blog? a forum? a newsletter? a fill-in form for requests?

By the way we still have not left the very easy to do on your own stage in case you are wondering.
It might also help if you had an online site that felt kindof like what you have in mind.
Maybe www.Sonic.net ?
by Julia » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:29 am
On this topic...

I have created a website using HTML coding and wanted to know how to upload it onto my already existing site, using sonic.net. I do not see a way to swap out the code, any suggestions?
by markf » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:35 pm
It is a bit more complicated than what is being said. First, you set up your hosting ect...,. You need an index file, index.htm, html, php, asp, etc... If you are unfamiliar with html then take a look at a page that is up and use it; substituting your information instead of the existing information.

You can learn a lot by doing this.

For the ftp site. Will you be uploading via ftp? Do you want others to be able to upload?

By default the directory, folder, does not show the contents. This is a security issue and you should not show the directory contents. Instead, if you want others to see the content of the directory write a simple page with links to the contents.

If you only want a select few to be able to see the contents then use htaccess and give those people passwords and log on ID's.

If you explained more of what you want/need, you will get better information :-)

---- Your immediate post.

download and install an FTP client. Log onto ftp.sonic.net with your user name and user ID. You should see a link to websites. Click that link and locate the file you wish to alter and highlight it.

Click on file edit, or right mouse click and file edit or what is needed. Use a text editor like notepad or download and install gedit. I like gedit better but it is your choice.
4 posts Page 1 of 1