Problem accessing bridged modem's admin panel

General discussions and other topics.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by reven » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:01 pm
Hi,

I have a static IP address. My 1 LAN port modem is set up as a bridge and it has an assigned local IP of 192.168.0.1. My Router is plugged into it and is set up with my static IP. On the LAN side, the network is in the 192.168.1.x range. The only problem I have so far, is that unless I disconnect the router and connect to the modem directly (and configure my IP manually), I can't connect to the modem's admin panel.

Is this a routing issue? Or is the modem not letting me connect because I'm connecting from a different subnet? Is there any way around this?

Thanks.
by thulsa_doom » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:15 am
That would be the expected behavior. Your typical SOHO router won't pass reserved private IP traffic through like that.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by Guest » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:58 pm
It's a router issue. You need to do the equivalent of
"ifconfig <wan interface>:0 192.168.0.100/24"
on your router to configure a secondary address on its wan interface.

How -- or whether -- this can be done depends on your router. If you're using DD-WRT
firmware, see
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ac ... figuration
by klui » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:21 pm
If you have 2 ethernet ports, a hub, and a cross over cable, you can do this. Or you can get a router/firewall that can do this as per "Guest." DD-WRT, Tomato firmwares, higher end devices like Cisco and Juniper will also work.
by bbmak » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:36 am
reven wrote:Hi,

I have a static IP address. My 1 LAN port modem is set up as a bridge and it has an assigned local IP of 192.168.0.1. My Router is plugged into it and is set up with my static IP. On the LAN side, the network is in the 192.168.1.x range. The only problem I have so far, is that unless I disconnect the router and connect to the modem directly (and configure my IP manually), I can't connect to the modem's admin panel.

Is this a routing issue? Or is the modem not letting me connect because I'm connecting from a different subnet? Is there any way around this?

Thanks.
If you have DDWRT firmware installed on your router, there is a way to access to your modem without re-route your cables.
I can access my modem with router connected with only 1 cable.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=632643
by reven » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:01 pm
Thanks for the answers.

My modem only has one port, so no re-cabling.

And my router is an Airport Extreme, so no way to configure routing or follow the DD-WRT tips. So I guess I'm stuck for now.
by klui » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:01 am
What I meant was if you have 2 ethernet ports on your PC, not your modem.
by Guest » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 am
klui wrote: ... and a cross over cable ...
If one of the two directly connected devices has a Gigabit Ethernet, then a straight cable should be fine - no need for a cross-over Ethernet cable. Most (if not all) Gigabit Ethernet ports support auto-MDIX (auto cross-over).

modem -- straight cable -- gigabit-ethernet-PC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-MDIX
by reven » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:15 pm
klui wrote:What I meant was if you have 2 ethernet ports on your PC, not your modem.
No, just one. Anyway connecting with wifi. I can go and plug my PC in the modem directly and see the admin panel if I have to, but it defeats the purpose...
9 posts Page 1 of 1