Sadly leaving Sonic after 9 years, unable to get fiber, though surrounded by it

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1 post Page 1 of 1
by reward » Fri May 08, 2020 2:03 pm
Regrettably, after having been a satisfied Sonic customer for years in the Mission Terrace area of SF, I find myself today surrounded on four sides by Sonic gigabit fiber, unable to get it, and forced to seek an alternative.

It really pains me to be using the slow and dropout-prone AT&T copper DSL, and paying more than my neighbors across the street pay for their superfast Sonic fiber. Why has it come to this? My side of a one-block street has utility poles in the back yards, and my neighbors on adjoining streets are served by poles on the streets or on alley/easements. I've made several inquiries to Sonic sales about this, and have been told, nicely, not to hold my breath for fiber.

So if I want fiber, I need to pay AT&T $80/mo. before taxes/fees. Until Sonic is able to install fiber on those backyard poles, I am unhappily leaving my $50/mo 8 - 12 Mbps connection for a $35/mo 50 - 70 Mbps connection via Monkeybrains WISP. Too bad, because I've been with Sonic for years and have referred many friends and family. I wish the great folks at Sonic the best. It's been a pleasure to have been a Sonic customer.
1 post Page 1 of 1