A few questions about personal hosting

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by jshaver » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:00 pm
I am looking at Personal hosting and am having trouble getting a handle on exactly what it offers and how it compares to other Sonic hosting options. The only real info I was able to find on personal hosting is here: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Personal_Hosting so maybe I just missed this information somewhere else.

Hopefully someone here can clarify a few questions for me:

- It appears that I can only connect domains to personal hosting that have been registered through Sonic, is that the case? If I want to point a sub-domain to something else (like my sonic static IP) can I do that? Is this info
not relevant to personal hosting:
https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Domain_Name ... nic.net.3F

- If domains must be registered through sonic, I assume if, at some point in the future, I decide to go with a different hosting vendor, I can migrate that domain to another provider/registrar.

- If for some reason in the future I switch ISPs can keep hosting (presumably I would have to pay the standard monthly cost at that point). Would it require upgrading to "value" hosting or something?

- Can I point more then one domain name at personal hosting? I realize I will need to pay to register the domains. if no, what If I want to have them both resolve to the same place?

- The Wiki says I can only have 4 email addresses on that domain. Can I setup aliases? if so, is there a limit? Can they have wild cards?

Thanks,
-Jesse
by joemuller » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:45 pm
- It appears that I can only connect domains to personal hosting that have been registered through Sonic, is that the case?
For Personal Hosting must start as a Sonic.net registered domain. If your domain is somewhere else, it would need to be used with Value Hosting.
If I want to point a sub-domain to something else (like my sonic static IP) can I do that?
Sure - with Personal Hosting, DNS is with Sonic, so you can add/remove entries via our Member Tools.
- If domains must be registered through sonic, I assume if, at some point in the future, I decide to go with a different hosting vendor, I can migrate that domain to another provider/registrar.
Definitely - you can migrate the registration and/or DNS if you'd like to move them somewhere else besides Sonic.net.
- If for some reason in the future I switch ISPs can keep hosting (presumably I would have to pay the standard monthly cost at that point). Would it require upgrading to "value" hosting or something?
Yes, you can keep hosting with us if you switch - your account would be switched over to a hosting-only option.
- Can I point more then one domain name at personal hosting? I realize I will need to pay to register the domains. if no, what If I want to have them both resolve to the same place?
Yes, you can do this with our Domain Forwarding service. It's quite affordable at only $1.95/mo for each domain you want to redirect from.
- The Wiki says I can only have 4 email addresses on that domain. Can I setup aliases? if so, is there a limit? Can they have wild cards?
Yes, as a matter of fact, they are all aliases! The limit actually refers to the number of mailboxes that you can have on your main Sonic.net account - in this case, we give you an additional 4. You can check the number of mailboxes you currently have available in our [url=hhttps://members.sonic.net/email/mailboxes/]Member Tools[/url]. There's no real limit on aliases. They definitely can have wild cards - it's quite common for folks to set up a catch-all alias.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by virtualmike » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:53 pm
joemuller wrote:
jshaver wrote:If I want to point a sub-domain to something else (like my sonic static IP) can I do that?
Sure - with Personal Hosting, DNS is with Sonic, so you can add/remove entries via our Member Tools.
So, if I have a domain for which DNS is provided by Sonic, I can set up subdomains and point wherever?

Hypothetically, if I have foo.net, could I point apps.foo.net to a Google Apps account and everything would be copacetic?
by dane » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:05 pm
virtualmike wrote:So, if I have a domain for which DNS is provided by Sonic, I can set up subdomains and point wherever?

Hypothetically, if I have foo.net, could I point apps.foo.net to a Google Apps account and everything would be copacetic?
Yes, using our Member Tools DNS editor, you can add records under your domain and point them toward any IP or CNAME you like.

Of course, the thing you are pointing them toward needs to understand & work, that part is up to you.

Many customers use this to point toward their own static IP, pointing a homelan.lastname.com type domain to their static, then using port address translation (PAT) to forward applications toward servers in the home. Eg, homelan.lastname.com:8080 might be pointed toward an IP camera on the LAN or something.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:29 pm
dane wrote:Yes, using our Member Tools DNS editor, you can add records under your domain and point them toward any IP or CNAME you like.
Perfect! I actually am serious about using Google Apps through my domain. It has been a while since I checked, but I believe GA instructs someone setting up an account what to enter for a CNAME.

I don't have time to futz with it now, but I'll check into it later.
by jshaver » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:21 pm
joemuller,

Thanks for the info and the quick response. As a total aside, I like the fact that the forum notification emails come from "devnull@sonic.net".

-jesse
6 posts Page 1 of 1