ftp put to shell account broken?

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by nsr500 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:37 pm
I've found references in other posts that this should work, but nothing direct, so ...

I've a webcam that has been running for months that pushes a 50K jpeg image about once every 30 seconds to my shell account. On April 25 around 11 pm the feed stopped and I assumed the camera died (Serras and still snowbound).

Today I did a test from Santa Clara to the same location the webcam pushes to, and it too failed using both PORT and PASV modes, yet sftp and rsync to the same location works.

Code: Select all

$ ncftpput -v -t 10 -E -u nsr500 shell.sonic.net Webcam_images/Today rocks_sydney.jpg
$ Password: ************
$ Could not connect to shell.sonic.net -- try again later: Connection timed out.
netstat sees:

Code: Select all

tcp     0   1  192.168.1.76:60303      208.201.242.19:21    SYN_SENT   26297/ncftpput
Has something on shell.sonic.net changed?

Cheers,
Tim.
by kgc » Fri May 11, 2012 9:51 am
shell.sonic.net hasn't run a ftp services for as long as I can remember, so I can't explain why this would have ever worked. Use ftp.sonic.net. You might consider using scp to shell.sonic.net which would let you use a key pair with an empty pass-phrase.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by nsr500 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:59 pm
I'm stuck with ftp due the webcam's limitations so I'll migrate to ftp.sonic.net.

Actually it had been working for a few years!

Thanks
3 posts Page 1 of 1