migrate existing domain

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
1 post Page 1 of 1
by kkeller » Tue May 08, 2012 8:48 pm
Hello folks,

I have an existing domain that I am considering migrating to Sonic. It is a fairly simple site at the moment (eventually I would want a nice backend, but right now it's just plain HTML), and fairly low traffic.

My first question is authorization: I would like to be the primary owner of the domain, but would like to be able to grant other people (who are likely not already Sonic users) administrative rights, and would eventually like to be able to transfer those rights permanently (it's my kids' school's site; presumably they won't be at the school forever!). Will I be able to do these things fairly easily?

My second is more technical: how is webhosting configured on the back end? Is it all on one or a handful of linux boxes with the appropriate VirtualHost entries in the global httpd.conf? Or do sites get allocated their own VM? And more generally speaking, how much admin rights would I have on the server itself, and what are the odds that a badly configured page (e.g., a runaway CGI, poorly configured WordPress, etc.) can hurt the sites of other users?

--keith
1 post Page 1 of 1