how to interface with mySql

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
13 posts Page 2 of 2
by dja » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:26 am
Very cool! Thanks for the knowledge.
by andyf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:12 pm
The ability to interact with my MySQL database only through Sonic servers instantly cut off 80% of my small business's administrative ability vis a vis MySQL. I previously could run my Microsoft invoices, mailings to select clients, and many other critical administrative tasks out of my Microsoft Office environment using an ODBC driver. Now that's all vanished and I've been scrambling to keep my business functioning. I have to download a constantly changing database and import tables into Excel try to try and do the same tasks. When I contacted Sonic on to ask what happened you essentially blew me off and indicated the problem was with my set up. I searched your forums but couldn't find the posts about it. Your tech support people were ignorant of what was going on. I've come to expect great support and transparency from Sonic. I'm really disappointed with this whole situation which was not, to my knowledge, ever announced in advance. Were you actually every hacked through the MySQL servers? Fixing this will cost me a lot.
by kbenson » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:52 pm
Have you looked into Putty and a ssh tunnel? You can configure a connection to the shell server that allows for a local port on your system to actually tunnel across to the shell server and from their access the SQL server, thus bypassing your connection problem.

The steps to achieve this would be:
  1. Enable access to the shell server (requires a call to support if it isn't already active)
  2. Configure Putty with a connection to the shell server
    1. Set a local port to listen on
    2. Set the remote server for the other end of the tunnel to connect to (the SQL server)
    3. Set the remote port to connect to (3306)
  3. Configure your ODBC connection to connect to localhost + the port you configured in 2a.
To use your reports, just open that saved connection to the shell server whenever you want to run reports (using an RSA key and Pagent you can make it so you only have to enter the password once per boot), and then work as normal.

P.S. I don't believe we've ever been hacked through the SQL servers, but it's VERY bad practice to leave the port open to the world. Sort of like leaving your wireless router admin interface accessible to the internet at large. Even if it's password protected, occasionally there's exploits found to bypass that...
13 posts Page 2 of 2