Get microtrenching on the November ballot for San Francisco?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by Ruez » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:48 pm
Anyone know how to go about this - I imagine we could get enough signatures to get it on the ballot fairly easily, and that it would pass fairly easily. Supposedly there are already 39 measures on the November ballot! I don't really understand what is up with Farrell's thing and if it is like most commonsense measures, it will probably take two decades to pass SFBOS.
by Ruez » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:50 pm
Also, would someone from Sonic be willing to work with us to help phrase it correctly?
by cdrayson » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:51 pm
The problem with putting something like this on the ballot is that it can't easily be changed, and things like this can get complicated and need modification. This is a situation where our elected officials need to do their jobs.
by steelgaze » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:40 pm
Needs money and a lot of people to back it at this point. All the measures coming up have been cooking for months or years already. Is it possible to get on the ballot? Yes. Probably slim chances to get it on this november.
by Ruez » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:40 pm
I know that's the popular wisdom, but I still think we should. I'm tired of writing to our officials and not hearing back - who even knows what is going on with this legislation. You know it would be a cinch to get the signatures with type of interest. Nothing to lose. There's always going to be a reason not to do something. Anyone know how to do it?
by Ruez » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:41 pm
Ok, well if you guys aren't into it so be it. I'm really looking for support or guidance rather than reasons not to do it, thanks.
by Ruez » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:43 pm
Sorry first post was to cdrayson, second to steelgaze.
by steelgaze » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:51 am
It's not that I would be against this but time is very short. Unless you want to take point on it, and run very fast on this it's not going to happen. Sorry, just being realistic.

I believe filing is still open or ballet measures, and accepting until october.
by Ruez » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:10 pm
Wonder how many signatures it needs - anyone know?
by steelgaze » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:09 pm
Well, you have until monday to submit a proposal.

July 11, 5 p.m.

Deadline to submit initiative petitions to the Department of Elections to qualify charter amendments, ordinances or declarations of policy for the ballot. Once submitted, an initiative petition may not be withdrawn.

As for signatures, you probably need 10% of registered voters, which is in the neighborhood of 45k.
10 posts Page 1 of 1