two different WAN IPs on one modem

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by racerlupine » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:30 pm
I have the Pace 5268AC unit. My wifi connected devices have a different external IP from my Ethernet connected devices. What's up with that?

thanks

RACER
by racerlupine » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:10 am
Okay I figured out how to do what I need to do -- get the wifi and wired interfaces on the same subnet. But I've never seen the two WAN IPs on one modem before. I can see one or two ways that might be useful but could someone elaborate?

thanks

RACER
by dct » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:50 pm
Hey Racer,

Where are you seeing two different IP addresses assigned to the modem? A screenshot or more information would definitely be helpful in addressing this!
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
by racerlupine » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:50 pm
Dan,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. No screenshot but here's a rundown:

1) At first I had only wifi connections to the router, no wired Ethernet connections. One static, several DHCP, user defined LAN IP range. Mix of Windows and Macs.

2) When I connected one computer to one Ethernet port, DHCP put it on a different subnet from the wifi. I didn't notice this at first, not until I tried unsuccessfully to ping a wifi-connected computer on my network from the wired-connected one.

3) When I checked the wired-connected computer's WAN IP it was not the same as the WAN IP returned by the wifi-connected computers. I had Internet access from 2 different WAN IPs at that point. I even did a tracert from one to the other to confirm this.

4) All I wanted to do was get the wired and wifi on the same LAN subnet. I did this by opening Settings|Broadband|Link Configuration on the router, going to Lan Subports, and unchecking the Enable checkbox. Oh yeah, and rebooting the router.

The result was all computers on the same LAN subnet with the same WAN IP.

When I get a chance I will try to duplicate the original 2 WAN IPs issue but for that I want to take the network down and it may be a while before I can do that.

hope this helps

RACER
4 posts Page 1 of 1