Issues with PacePlc+WIFI+OSX

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
26 posts Page 3 of 3
by cariesaxton » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:50 pm
That's not the problem. The networks do have unique names and I'm connected to the router the whole time. It's the internet connection that drops out every minute or so for 10-30 seconds. It's so frustrating and I'm going to have to leave Sonic and get Comcast or something if it can't be fixed.

I don't know what problem Sonic has with OS X but it's something.
by miken » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:40 am
cariesaxton wrote:That's not the problem. The networks do have unique names and I'm connected to the router the whole time. It's the internet connection that drops out every minute or so for 10-30 seconds. It's so frustrating and I'm going to have to leave Sonic and get Comcast or something if it can't be fixed.

I don't know what problem Sonic has with OS X but it's something.
Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot with me over the phone. I'm glad we were able to find a solution to the problem. If you run into any other issues, don't hesitate to let us know!
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by Guest » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:11 pm
miken wrote:
cariesaxton wrote:I don't know what problem Sonic has with OS X but it's something.
Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot with me over the phone. I'm glad we were able to find a solution to the problem. If you run into any other issues, don't hesitate to let us know!
What was the solution?
by orm » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:17 pm
Hey,

I found this thread AFTER I posted the following question...
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3713

I've posted my solution there, at the top, edited my question.

Basically, for me, it was IPv6 Related. If you're not using An apple express or extreme, then the solution is a little more complex and has caveats potentially. I would say this should be incorporated into the sonic tech support literature at this point: point newer mac users to IPv6 settings, and make sure you have all the angles/information (i.e. the info about turning it off completely in this thread is dated and does not apply to the two most recent final releases of OS X (10.10 & 10.11). It's no problem, I looked it up on a great site: http://osxdaily.com/2014/04/18/disable-ipv6-mac-os-x/
I would also say that my solution didn't require me to do this, so I think it's 1) safer and 2) cleaner and 3)easier. Basically, what I did after testing all combinations is turn the AEBS to Link-Local only, so I didn't have to use the command line / unsupported (by apple) feature on each computer and potentially cause problems later. I give more details in my thread.

Thanks Sonic Techs for a push in the right direction ( I did call in several times like the OP here, and if the techs on the phone were just aware of the same things, we could have solved this 6 months ago...)

Near complete solution, just watch that asterisk...
by miken » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:30 pm
Guest wrote:What was the solution?
I apologize for not seeing this sooner! In this case, there was double NAT going on between the Pace modem/router and a standalone Airport. Once the Pace was bridged and the Airport was doing the routing, the random drop outs seemed to stop.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by orm » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:32 pm
Thanks Mike!
No double NAT in my situation! Thanks for the tip about IPv6 earlier though! Amazing... The pace 4111n said no IPv6 of any kind, not even any menus or buttons to interact with. The Airport Extreme Base Station (bridged, just acting as an access point) was able to corrupt something so that all wifi networks on the LAN, even the built-in Pace wi-fi sufferred this way! Link-Local Only is best from what I can tell (instead of the default "Automatic"), IF it solves your issue (as oppose to command line on each mac, which breaks some features of newer OS X revs.).
26 posts Page 3 of 3