Does this sound right?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by jtteng8084 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:47 pm
I'm on legacy ADSL (6 Mbps) and over the last 12 months my DSL line were rebuild once in response to inexplicable Internet outages. Well, today I suffered another Internet outage. And while the outage went away before I was able to get a hold of customer service, the download speed drops down to as low as 0.2 Mbps (no higher than 1 Mbps if I'm lucky). Considering I normally get 4.5 Mbps to 5.0 Mbps, something is not right.

Customer service rebuild my DSL line and that didn't solve the problem. Both modem and router were ruled out as the cause of slowdown (I tried a different modem and direct connection from PC to modem).

I'm being told by the customer service the only recourse is to have at&t send out its tech, and I will be charged for its service ($65 per 30 minutes?) with no guarantee of fixing the problem.

Does this sound right at all?

Side note: Since I'm behind RT I was told that Fusion isn't an option for me, and there is no U-Verse available in my area. My only alternative for ISP is Comcast (unless you count Satellite in).
by Guest » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:05 pm
Did you connect your modem directly to your NID/MPOE in order to eliminate all internal house wiring? AT&T would only charge you if the problem is with wiring inside your premises. Eliminate the IW variable and you shouldn't be on the hook for any charges. But since they changed the drop and you're still experiencing the problem I can see why they want to charge you for the next visit.
by jtteng8084 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:45 pm
Guest wrote:Did you connect your modem directly to your NID/MPOE in order to eliminate all internal house wiring? AT&T would only charge you if the problem is with wiring inside your premises. Eliminate the IW variable and you shouldn't be on the hook for any charges. But since they changed the drop and you're still experiencing the problem I can see why they want to charge you for the next visit.
Well, att never sent out its tech before. Sonic customer service told me the line was rebuild on att's end.

As for MPOE, if you mean the telephone box next to gas and electricity meter I can't open it. There is a tamper proof tag on it (just like the one on the electricity meter).
by jtteng8084 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:36 pm
Apparently the Internet outage I suffered today is related to the SF Bay Area outage. Didn't check the status page first, lol.
https://corp.sonic.net/status/

Still, like others have said in another thread, apparently the problem was not solved. Slow Internet.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3708
by Guest » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:57 pm
jtteng8084 wrote:As for MPOE, if you mean the telephone box next to gas and electricity meter I can't open it. There is a tamper proof tag on it (just like the one on the electricity meter).
There shouldn't be a tamper-proof tag because the MPOE contains a telco portion, secured with a security screw, and a customer portion, secured with a regular screw. Do you own your home? Are you renting? Is it a single-family home or apartment?
by jtteng8084 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:15 pm
Single home, owned for 20+ years. The tag is on there since day 1.

I'm going to call Sonic customer service again tomorrow. Funny how they neglected to mention the outage on the status page.
6 posts Page 1 of 1