Pace modem replacement

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by benjwhite9 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:17 pm
I am thinking about replacing the leased Pace 4111N modem (gateway) with a modem and router that I own. Has anyone done this successfully, and what equipment did you buy?
by miken » Mon May 16, 2016 9:09 am
Hi! We strongly recommend our modem/router for our service. If it ever has any problems, we can ship out a new one with a quick call; it pays for any dispatches you may need for your home's internal wiring; and it's plug and play with your line (and if you ever want to enable some advanced settings, we can walk you through it in a matter of minutes).

If you are having problems with wireless, have you tried calling our technical support? There are some settings we could change that should help.

That being said, if you still wanted to purchase your own modem, you would need to find something that is ADSL2+ compatible. Beyond that, you may also need to configure the modem for DHCP (a lot of them come pre-configured for PPPoE). Since every modem has a different interface, our support isn't really equipped to walk you through changing those settings.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by benjwhite9 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:12 pm
Mike, Thanks for your detailed reply.

it pays for any dispatches you may need for your home's internal wiring
Are you saying that the modem rental fee also includes an inside wiring repair plan? My monthly invoice, which is quite detailed, does not specify this.

If you are having problems with wireless, have you tried calling our technical support?
No technical difficulties at this time. The one time I called tech support, I got a prompt response, and the service was excellent. I will be honest; the reason I'm considering this change is because I'm a cheapskate.

Since every modem has a different interface, our support isn't really equipped to walk you through changing those settings.
Understood. I was hoping that another user at large would reply, but so far, that hasn't happened.

In theory, if I were to purchase a used Pace 4111N modem on Ebay, that should be compatible, right? Even if it was originally configured for the AT&T DSL network?

Ben
by Guest » Mon May 16, 2016 11:32 pm
benjwhite9 wrote:In theory, if I were to purchase a used Pace 4111N modem on Ebay, that should be compatible, right? Even if it was originally configured for the AT&T DSL network?
No, AT&T's would work but its settings would be locked down. The management configurations embedded in the gateways are not changeable: firmware upgrade servers, DNS settings, TR-069 settings will all point to AT&T infrastructure. The firmware's behaviors are different between AT&T's vs. Sonic's firmware. For example, WiFi passwords are shown in clear text on AT&T's firmware, and Sonic's firmware has LAN subport functionality.

There are those who have had luck with non-Pace modems but I have read at least one person who could not get it to work. The search is not very good on these forums but search for Zhone modem. Expect to spend some time getting it to work, especially if you have a bonded connection.
by miken » Tue May 17, 2016 8:39 am
benjwhite9 wrote:Are you saying that the modem rental fee also includes an inside wiring repair plan? My monthly invoice, which is quite detailed, does not specify this.
At the moment the invoices do not include this, but yes, renting a modem is similar to other provider's wiring repair plan.
benjwhite9 wrote:In theory, if I were to purchase a used Pace 4111N modem on Ebay, that should be compatible, right? Even if it was originally configured for the AT&T DSL network?
If you are going to purchase your own modem, I wouldn't recommend a Pace. The above answer gives some insight as to why. The main reason we use Pace is the custom firmware we have on it. Generally speaking, I personally recommend either going with what your local retail store has (they are usually setup friendly and come with fairly easy installation wizards) or going by reviews for specific models online. As long as they are ADSL2+ and can be setup for DHCP, they will work for our service with the right settings.

Unfortunately, I can't give any personal recommendations on specific modems as I've always used a Pace modem (and sometimes depending on the area a standalone router behind it). Best of luck and if we can be of any help, don't hesitate to let us know!
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
5 posts Page 1 of 1