Pointing subdomain to wordpress directory

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by adarch » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:47 pm
I have a subdomain at Sonic which is located at blog.example.com
that I would like to point to an existing wordpress site which is located at example.com/blog
I've been searching for wordpress instructions about how to do this, but haven't found anything specific to this issue. Any suggestions anyone might have that would help me do this, would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dwight
by thulsa_doom » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:18 pm
Getting blog.example.com to point to your blog can be done in one of two ways:

* You can have Sonic.net add a Value Hosting service to your account for $9.95 a month and we'll configure it to point to the appropriate directory
* If you already have Basic Hosting on example.com, you can edit the DNS for that domain so that blog.example.com resolves to the same IP address, then place a .htaccess file in example.com's base directory that redirects traffic to the appropriate directory.

To get Wordpress to understand that it is at a new address, the instructions at http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress should help (you wouldn't have to move the actual files, but you would need to talk Wordpress into using its new public address for how it generates links).
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
2 posts Page 1 of 1