automatic additions to address book

General discussions and other topics.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by lawrence42 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:37 pm
I just want all the email addresses I to which I send messages (and those to whom I respond) to automatically be added to my Sonic mail address book. Is there some way of making that happen? I've looked through all the "help" material, the "Settings" and the "Member Tools" and I can't find anything that addresses this. I don't like to burden support staff with what is probably a simple matter (and I'd rather not spend time on hold or waiting for a callback). As a new Sonic user and very unsophisticated tech person, I'm also finding it difficult to use the forums for help, since the terms and abbreviations I read there are 99.9 percent foreign to me.
by virtualmike » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:20 pm
Do you mostly use one computer? Or are you constantly using other computers to handle email? If only your computer, I'd recommend you use a standalone email program, as you have a lot more control over it, including the address book.

Examples are programs like Thunderbird, Outlook, Windows Live Mail, and Eudora. There are others, which can be found via a web search.
by drew.phillips » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:09 pm
Hi Lawrence,

Are you referring specifically to webmail? We're planning on deploying an update to webmail.sonic.net in the near future (a beta will be available tonight or tomorrow) and I could include an option to automatically add people you email to the address book which will support autocompletion when you compose new messages.

Otherwise, virtualmike's suggestion about using a desktop email client is good as they all support this feature.

But if it's something you'd like to see in webmail, let us know.

Drew
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by Guest » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:12 pm
virtualmike wrote:Do you mostly use one computer? Or are you constantly using other computers to handle email? If only your computer, I'd recommend you use a standalone email program, as you have a lot more control over it, including the address book.

Examples are programs like Thunderbird, Outlook, Windows Live Mail, and Eudora. There are others, which can be found via a web search.
Thank you, Mike. I use only one computer, and it has Outlook on it, but before Sonic, everything was processed through EarthLink. How do I get Outlook to handle my email if my EarthLink account is discontinued? I'm really technologically challenged (at 73) and I need to have things spelled out step by step. Hope you (or someone) can help with this. I've already notified many of my regular correspondents of my new Sonic webmail address. Will that become superfluous if I manage to get Outlook working for me?
by lawrence42 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:16 pm
drew.phillips wrote:Hi Lawrence,

Are you referring specifically to webmail? We're planning on deploying an update to webmail.sonic.net in the near future (a beta will be available tonight or tomorrow) and I could include an option to automatically add people you email to the address book which will support autocompletion when you compose new messages. ... But if it's something you'd like to see in webmail, let us know.

Drew
Thanks for this news, Drew. My original question was based on using Sonic's webmail program. I wasn't aware that I could use a separate email provider, and being on limited and fixed income, I don't want to have to pay for another service if Sonic can meet my needs. Including the option of automatically adding contacts to the address book when I email someone, or when I respond to their email, would definitely be a plus from my point of view.
by drew.phillips » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:12 pm
lawrence42 wrote: Thanks for this news, Drew. My original question was based on using Sonic's webmail program. I wasn't aware that I could use a separate email provider, and being on limited and fixed income, I don't want to have to pay for another service if Sonic can meet my needs. Including the option of automatically adding contacts to the address book when I email someone, or when I respond to their email, would definitely be a plus from my point of view.
You can use Outlook or any other desktop email client to send & receive from your Sonic.net email account. Our support staff can assist with removing your old Earthlink account from Outlook and adding Sonic, and we also have a number of guides at https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Category:Mail for showing how to set up various mail clients including Outlook. This is completely optional. If you're happy with webmail and familiar with it, there's no need to change as long as we can make it do everything you want it to.

But regarding webmail, I have updated https://webmail-beta.sonic.net/ with the changes we're planning on rolling out in the coming weeks. It includes the ability to automatically add people you email to your address book. Note: This functionality is disabled by default!.

Here are the steps to enable automatic address book additions:

- Click Settings (located near the top right of your screen)
- Click Address Book in the middle pane titled Section
- Check the box labelled Use automatic address book
- Save

Also note, any settings and preferences you've changed on webmail.sonic.net will also need to be re-applied on webmail-beta.sonic.net. All of your email and folders are in sync, but webmail specific settings are not.

I'll be working on updating the Webmail Help page in the coming days and also announce the webmail beta (probably tomorrow) with a detailed list of feature changes and improvements.

Thanks for the feedback Lawrence, and please let me know if you have any questions if you decide to try the beta.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
6 posts Page 1 of 1