Mailbox () has been locked for mail system abuse

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by mkld » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:46 am
Hello,

This is the second time I've received this message (in the title) from Sonic, for two different sub-accounts.

Trouble is, there is no abuse or illicit activity going on.

What's happening is that I use two different VPNs (headquartered in Europe) and routinely, they will route all traffic through Europe. Then, Sonic's automated system assumes that my SMTP (POP?) connections from different locations overseas are illicit. One in particular appears to be "the problem" (it does not block any SMTP ports at all, like most VPNs).

I put POP with a question mark because I've looked through my recent sent messages, and don't see any messages sent via smtp.sonic.net. Perhaps POP logins are now being included? I've aimed to avoid sending any mail via smtp.sonic.net while connected to a VPN (I'm routing most of my mail through GMail now, as a result of this problem).

I've changed my passwords, and have noticed no "unusual" occurrences with the accounts. However, the reason I post this is to ask that it be considered that the message sent not be so misleading ("Your sonic.net account xxxxx was compromised and used by a third party to send SPAM through our mail servers. These people also had access to read your email and to all of your account information"), and, even a bit threatening ("Failure to secure your account may result in charges in accordance with the Sonic.net AUP").

I worked with tech support on this the last time, and explained what was happening. The tech was able to see my explanation was valid.
by joemuller » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:21 pm
We only count outbound mail (SMTP) connections - in your case, it looks like the VPN service has a few different countries it tends to send traffic out of, which is causing the automatic locking to occur.

I believe support has found a solution for now to prevent any future locking.

-- Joe M.
Sonic System Operations
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by mkld » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:48 pm
joemuller wrote:We only count outbound mail (SMTP) connections - in your case, it looks like the VPN service has a few different countries it tends to send traffic out of, which is causing the automatic locking to occur.

I believe support has found a solution for now to prevent any future locking.

-- Joe M.
Sonic System Operations
Thanks, Joe!

I have tried to remember not to send any messages via smtp.sonic.net while connected to tigerVPN. But a "permanent" solution would be great.
3 posts Page 1 of 1