Eight Hours Borderless Calling

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by jagaba1972 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:33 pm
Out of almost 200 countries in the world, Sonic is not allowing free borderless calling to even 20 countries. Out of them, almost all of them are having many restrictions like only to particular areas and fixed lines etc. Is this borderless calling? How can this be justified by Sonic when it speaks of equal opportunities etc. vis-a-vis big players like Verizon, AT&T, Comcast etc. and speak of unethical practices? Is this not the similar practices followed/adopted by big companies with hidden fees, contracts etc? Come on. Be fair in what we say and do. There are millions of Indians and Chinese in the West Coast. Allow this "borderless calling" free at least for these countries with decent publicity and see the expansion going to happen in Sonic's customer base. While I admire of Sonic's efforts in the field of internet, this has to be fixed as early as possible.
by dane » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:07 am
Borderless Calling is limited to fixed lines, and free calling is currently available to seventeen countries in additional to all of the US territories. We add countries as more members sign up for service; the budget for expanding the reach is driven by the economics of scale as Sonic membership grows.

As we continue to add more coverage, we are challenged by countries that have huge lists of intermingled prefixes for mobile and fixed lines. Our rating platform database needs to be re-designed to accommodate these situations, so until that is completed we cannot add countries with huge intermingled prefix lists.

After taking this situation into account, we decide where to expand by evaluating countries based upon cost/minute to fixed lines, the volume of member traffic to each country, and the goal of covering broad continuous regions. Our last expansion was focused on Europe for example, as Europe is the top call destination. We added all countries which had reasonable costs and which didn't have massive prefix lists.

We will take up another round of Borderless Calling expansion as our membership grows.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by geogriffin » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:22 pm
FWIW I really appreciated the cheap calls to England when I was trying to save money calling girlfriend for hours and hours.. Skype latency and general crappiness is just unacceptable sometimes. Where dane's product really shines is in calling to UK mobile at $0.042/min, which is half of $0.08/min on the cheapest calling card out there (AKA Google voice.)

I always thought what would top that off is if there was a bundled FXO VoIP bridge in the modem or something to take advantage of the low rates from the convenience of your cell phone or even away from home! But AFAICT there's one product, the Obi110, that does exactly that. It works great, but the $60 price tag of that box would likely exceed the savings versus a calling card for most people (depends on usage obviously.)
by sjedjo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:24 pm
For the cheapest calling card I have found go to OneSuite.com. But free is even cheaper. What countries can I call for 8 hours for free?
by kgc » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:44 am
The current URL to our international rate deck is here, anything marked with a globe or green bar is a borderless destination.

https://signup.sonic.com/fusion/international
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by flekkowich » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:45 pm
how do we enable international calling in the membership tool?
by virtualmike » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:53 pm
Go to Voice, choose the number in question, choose Settings for the number, untick "Disable International 011+ Dialing"
by littlebaboo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:34 pm
Is there a way to enable only the free borderless calling, but disable calls that have charges?
by dane » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:21 pm
littlebaboo wrote:Is there a way to enable only the free borderless calling, but disable calls that have charges?
No, I'm afraid not.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
9 posts Page 1 of 1