news.sonic.net bad feed/massive expiration?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
29 posts Page 3 of 3
by patty1 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:52 am
Oh, thanks, Mike. I've changed it for now. Will probably forget to do so again next spring. :-)
by Guest » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:59 pm
Lest there be any doubt, thanks to Sonic for keeping its usenet service alive. It's probably a PITA, and serves only a small, but loyal group, but it's one of the things that sets you guys apart.

That said, would it be possible to enable SSL on the server, so FTTN users don't have to use a VPN to prevent their Sonic passwords from being transmitted in the clear when connecting?
by patty1 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:43 pm
Drat...

Code: Select all

patty1% trn
Connecting to news.sonic.net...connection to 199.245.68.11: Connection refused
giving up...
failed.
Couldn't open any newsrc groups.  Is your access file ok?
Hey, guys, can you please give it another kick?
by virtualmike » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:27 am
You're welcome, Patty. It catches me twice a year--I go for about a week before I realize that I need to toggle the setting. :roll:
by patty1 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:24 am
news.sonic.net is alive again. Dunno what that problem was all about last night. Cross fingers that it behaves for a while now! And thanks to the Sonic support folks for keeping it going.
by kgc » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:42 am
I worked on it a bit over the weekend, hopefully it should be smooth sailing until the next disk failure.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by virtualmike » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:46 pm
Thanks for your efforts, Kelsey!
by Guest » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:07 am
amayfield wrote:Sorry for how long it's taking to restore service. Another alternative that may be a good temporary solution for your newsgroup needs is Supernews. supernews.sonic.net, log in with your username@sonic.net. It is slower and has more restrictions than news.sonic.net but it is currently functioning.
Are you saying Sonic members automatically have access to Supernews? Is there a password to use with Supernews? I certainly wouldn't want to send my Sonic member password to them. Thanks!
by scasse » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:07 am
I've always had access to Supernews along with news.sonic as long as I've been a Sonic subscriber. Sonic does require you to login Supernews but I've never had an issue with that.
29 posts Page 3 of 3