FYI: FTTN/VOIP ATA "Phone" LED off.

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by dherr » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:53 am
A few minutes ago I noticed that the "Phone" LED was off. This is the HT701 VOIP ATP provided by Sonic. That light being out is supposed to indicate that we don't have proper sync and thus no working phone. It flashes to indicate a "off hook" state or a waiting voice mail and a few other situations.

But the phone was working just fine. I called 411 with the extension and then called my cell with the main phone. The light would blink as expected during the call which proves that the light itself was working. Note that the ATA is not back-feeding my house wires, the only thing plugged in is a Panasonic DECT phone, so main and extension are really the same as far as the ATA is concerned.

I unplugged the RJ45 for a few seconds and plugged it back in. After a minute or two this did fix the light.

I checked the Grandstream PDF manual and did not find a state where it is off. For "on" it states:

"Line X is registered normally to the sip providers network and is ready to make a call"

So maybe something is wonky with my ATA or maybe the Sonic equipment is/was having an issue. Maybe the Internet link was iffy for a bit. No clue and not worried about it, just reporting it in case it is something that should be investigated.
by miken » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:35 pm
Oh no! That's definitely weird. Since your phone service itself seemed to work fine during the incident, I am leaning towards something like a faulty LED on the indicator. However, I would continue to monitor and if this happens again please give us a call so that we can get you a replacement.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by dherr » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:34 pm
Yup, will do. I picked the location for the ATA based on the ability to look at it each morning since otherwise it could be days or even weeks before I would notice if the line was down. It has been very stable for many weeks now and I am mostly out of the habit of checking it in the morning. This event will get me back in the habit. I will call support if it starts acting up regularly. Mostly wanted to alert others that a dark "phone" light does not mean you should instantly reboot it, but you should check your line to see if it might be in this odd state before bouncing it.
by Guest » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:13 pm
dherr wrote:A few minutes ago I noticed that the "Phone" LED was off. This is the HT701 VOIP ATP provided by Sonic. That light being out is supposed to indicate that we don't have proper sync and thus no working phone. It flashes to indicate a "off hook" state or a waiting voice mail and a few other situations.

But the phone was working just fine.
Probably just a bug in the firmware. Does a reboot or power cycle fix it?
by dherr » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:49 am
Guest wrote: Probably just a bug in the firmware. Does a reboot or power cycle fix it?
Just pulling out the RJ45 and plugging it back it was enough to fix it.
5 posts Page 1 of 1