PACE 5168N and Airplay

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by jnurthen » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:30 pm
When I'm connected via Wifi to the Sonic router/modem my airplay devices don't work.
My airplay devices are all connected to a gigabit switch which in turn is connected to both the sonic gateway and my own router in a different part if the house. The sonic gateway is the DHCP server.

If I make sure I connect to my own router then airplay works flawlessly - if I connect to the sonic router then airplay devices don't seem to be recognised.

Is there a configuration I need to make in the Pace router in order to get this to work?
by parker_day » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:09 pm
I think there is a known problem with the 5168N where wireless devices can't talk to wired devices. There is a fix Sonic can push to your device if you ask for it.
by robert_s » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:46 pm
jnurthen wrote:When I'm connected via Wifi to the Sonic router/modem my airplay devices don't work.
My airplay devices are all connected to a gigabit switch which in turn is connected to both the sonic gateway and my own router in a different part if the house. The sonic gateway is the DHCP server.

If I make sure I connect to my own router then airplay works flawlessly - if I connect to the sonic router then airplay devices don't seem to be recognised.

Is there a configuration I need to make in the Pace router in order to get this to work?
I just wanted to clarify a few things about your setup. Is DHCP turned off on your router? Is your router only acting as a access point or are you sub-netting your network? Are your Airplay devices set to use DHCP or are they configured statically?
Robert S.
Proud Sonic Employee
707-547-3400
by jnurthen » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:01 pm
robert_s wrote: I just wanted to clarify a few things about your setup. Is DHCP turned off on your router?
Yes
robert_s wrote: Is your router only acting as a access point or are you sub-netting your network?
Yes - access point (and switch)

robert_s wrote: Are your Airplay devices set to use DHCP or are they configured statically?
DHCP - but I used to reserve network addresses for them. I can't remember off-hand if the Pace allows this. If it does I have configured it - if not I'm just using DHCP.

I find the Pace web server for the admin screens goes down very frequently so I can't access it at the moment to verify and the kids are watching Netflix so I don't want to reboot it.
by robert_s » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:50 am
I would be happy to schedule a call with you to trouble shoot this. Send me a PM with a good time to call you.
Robert S.
Proud Sonic Employee
707-547-3400
by jnurthen » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:20 pm
To follow up. Robert contacted me offline. We arranged to swap the router out.
I had a service call for another matter today and we switched the modem to a 5268AC.
Airplay now works correctly across the network.
6 posts Page 1 of 1