Newly Installed FTTN: IP Passthrough and VPN questions

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 2 of 2
by pmbell » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:12 pm
a very quick glance at the openvpn settings shot leads me to ask: is this the only openVPN page on your router? Some of it looks as if it may be for setting up a vpn server of your own, to connect to when you're on the road?

If the same page is used for both server and client config, a few suggestions:

- check autostart at boot
- fill in the IP address of Sonic's server in the Server field next to the udp / 1194 selection
- I would permit compression
- I would uncheck all the 'access home" boxes, since you want to be home and connect the VPN outbound
- your tunnel network is going to be assigned to you by DHCP, not manually defined
- you may need to paste in the directives from the .ovpn file you can download from Sonic into that "Configuration" box

You'll also need the private key from the ovpn config pasted into the shared key box, I think.
Look around your firmware, see if there is also a page to configure certificate authorities and certificates, as the crypto requires those to be defined.
by ryanlopez » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:36 pm
Thanks pmbell for the response. There's actually two pages related to OpenVPN, Server and Client. The one in the screenshot is the Client one, but the Server page looks almost identical. The only things added on the Server page are a field to type in a "Local Network" and something to create *.ovpn files it seems. I've looked through all the settings for the router and there's nothing about certificates anywhere. Thanks for the tips and I'll probably mess with it a bit more, but honestly I think I'm just going to buy a cheap DD-WRT compatible router to run behind the AT&T router as that seems to be easier to setup, not to mention there seems to be a lot more people on this forum using that that could possible give advice if I get stuck on something with it. Thanks again to everyone who offered advice.
12 posts Page 2 of 2