FTTN cannot bridge modem. need options.

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by carlsonm » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:36 am
So i just swithed to the FTTN service. Att installed the Pace 5031NV modem/router.

I have read this thread about how the closest thing to bridge is dmzplus mode but the most recent firmware update broke dmzplus on Pace 5031NV. You can read thread here. https://forums.att.com/t5/Third-Party-D ... -p/4282908

What are my options now? I do not wish to double nat, with wasted resources added latency and having to manage two firewalls.

Can i ask Sonic to give me a different modem/router that has the option of bridge or at the very least a working dmzplus mode?

I have called Sonic with lots of technical questions (I work in IT field.) and even called ATT. No one seems to be offering a replacement or an option to get this fixed. Just wait for the firmware to be updated with a fix?

Looks like this problem was first reported in July so its already been nearly 3 months and still no fix. :(
by dherr » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:26 am
I recently changed over to DMZ+ mode with the Pace 5031NV. This is with the new firmware.

It is buggy, yes. Make sure to check it after a power cycle. I had not noticed that it had dropped out of DMZ+ after moving the devices around and thus power cycling them. My new quick test to make sure it is still in DMZ+ is:

>trace -n ping.sonic.net
traceroute to ping.sonic.net (209.204.190.64), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 192.168.10.1 0.238 ms 0.359 ms 0.413 ms
2 108.85.228.3 18.409 ms 18.280 ms 22.833 ms
[snip]

If the second hop was 192.168.1.254 then we have a problem.

The good news there is that the only thing that seemed to have stopped working in that failed mode was my inbound port forwarding. So I have added a cron job running on the Sonic shell to make sure my web server is still visible from the WAN side.

If you have issues, worries etc. then I would be willing to get on the phone with you to give more fine grained info on this.

Oh, and I was surprised that IPv6 does still work for me in DMZ+ mode. The backend router is set for "IPv6 passthru" mode and it works exactly the same as it did before I switched to DMZ+.
by blakers » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:26 pm
> Can i ask Sonic to give me a different modem/router that has the option of bridge

Unfortunately, there is no such 'true bridge' option on Uverse.

The closest thing you'll get is DMZ+ mode (on the Pace), or its equivalent on the Motorola.

As dherr mentioned, flaky as all get out. Power cycle in the wrong order, and the silly, posessed thing auto-selects a different device or mode.

But, once you've got the DMZ+ mode set, you should be able to pull the REAL ip via DHCP from the modem to your own router behind the modem, e.g., a linux box.

A firewall can then easily manage that without any explicit double NAT'ing on your part. What the additional latency due to the ATT modem in the circuit is, I can't really say. But with DMZ+ configured, I simply treat it as a bridge. So far, I've had no issues onbound or outbound -- EXCEPT for the whole protocl41 IPv6 nightmare.

Sure, AT&T provided IPv6 can (finally) be made to work, but -- so far as I've been able to tell -- only with a single-allocated /64 out of the entire /60 delegated. I gave up on the mess, and tunnel all my IPv6 over a VPN tunnel elsewhere. Problem solved.
by carlsonm » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:20 pm
The problem is with the PAce 5031NV-30 modem. I get dmzplus mode enabled my netgear gets the wan dmz ip address. but it does not route any traffic.

You can see this in the firewall log of the pace 5031NV after i set dmzplus mode. i changed ip address and mac numbers. but anyway it just repeats this over and over.
IN=br1 MAC=00:00:xx:00:xx:00 SRC=72.165.61.xx DST=75.25.120.xx LEN=52 TTL=115 PROTO=TCP DPT=51468 Netgear inbound session stopped

the link i mentioned above talks all about it.. i can't get it to work unless i double nat. I was about to request a different modem but i called sonic and they finally qualified me for the bonded pair. So hopefully in 5 days. i can get a tech out to enable bonded pair and give me a new modem that works. and a speed bump.
by Guest » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:28 pm
carlsonm wrote:The problem is with the PAce 5031NV-30 modem. I get dmzplus mode enabled my netgear gets the wan dmz ip address. but it does not route any traffic.
Some people have had success when they perform a factory reset and setting everything up again.

Post screenshots of the modem's "LAN IP Address Allocation," "Firewall Status," "Applications, Pinholes and DMZ," and "Advanced Configuration."

https://attlocal.net/xslt?PAGE=C_2_4 (show your Netgear device)
https://attlocal.net/xslt?PAGE=C_3_0 (show your Netgear device)
https://attlocal.net/xslt?PAGE=C_3_1 (after clicking on Choose "Netgear")
https://attlocal.net/xslt?PAGE=C_3_2

Probably won't hurt to check out your Broadband Link Configuration under Supplementary Network.
https://attlocal.net/xslt?PAGE=C_1_1
by carlsonm » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:15 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the thread on att and they also mentioned factory reset helping. I followed the steps and its working now.

Will see how reliable it is.

I think ATT or Pace need to make clearing the settings as part of their update. It would save customers headache and the company support/calls.
by Guest » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:34 pm
carlsonm wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the thread on att and they also mentioned factory reset helping. I followed the steps and its working now.
You're going to have a new issue when your bonded connection is up. The NV589/599 appears to have a problem with enforcing a maximum of around 2600 NAT sessions even in IP Passthrough (no DMZ+ for these bonded gateways). The 5031nv doesn't have that restriction under DMZ+.

Best of luck. And let the users here know of your experience.
by mediahound » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:41 pm
I set up DMZ+ but noticed every time the AT&T gateway reboots, it defaults to setting it back off, sorta a pain. I finally just gave up on the idea and put my Airport Extreme router in bridge mode instead since I don't have to have the DMZ+ setup for my network needs.
8 posts Page 1 of 1