Fusion x2 PTM Bonded router question.

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:24 pm
Hello!

I'm planning to switch to sonic's x2 fusion option, but would really prefer to use my own router.

I know that using sonic's router is recommended, but I'm ready to accept the risks.

Anyways:

Does anyone know of a router that will work with the x2 option? I was told by a sonic rep any router supporting PTM and bonded dsl should theoretically work... Does anyone know if this "Comtrend NexusLink 3100u" would work?

Thanks!
by dct » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:48 pm
Just for sake of clarification, any router should work with us, since it runs independently from the service we provide.

What you need is a bonded PTM modem, which are pretty scarce in the wild. As long as the modem can do channel bonding, uses DHCP and PTM, it should be fine. Additionally, you can bridge our X2 modem to whichever router you choose if you're looking for something more robust.
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
by Guest » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:03 pm
Guest wrote:Does anyone know of a router that will work with the x2 option? I was told by a sonic rep any router supporting PTM and bonded dsl should theoretically work... Does anyone know if this "Comtrend NexusLink 3100u" would work?
Do a search for "kasda router site:forums.sonic.net" Looks like the Zhone works for mikemee.
by leifs » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:51 pm
I switched to FTTN and have a decommissioned Zyxel P-663HN-51 bonding modem/router free for the taking if you pick it up here in Palo Alto. It was issued by Sonic and was working well for me with Fusion bonded service (later renamed to Fusion X2). Just send me a PM.

Note: This only supports ADSL2+ with ATM, not VDSL with PTM.
by Guest » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:58 pm
dct wrote:Just for sake of clarification, any router should work with us, since it runs independently from the service we provide.

What you need is a bonded PTM modem, which are pretty scarce in the wild. As long as the modem can do channel bonding, uses DHCP and PTM, it should be fine. Additionally, you can bridge our X2 modem to whichever router you choose if you're looking for something more robust.
Thanks for clearing that up, knew it in my head, but mixed up the terminology.
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Does anyone know of a router that will work with the x2 option? I was told by a sonic rep any router supporting PTM and bonded dsl should theoretically work... Does anyone know if this "Comtrend NexusLink 3100u" would work?
Do a search for "kasda router site:forums.sonic.net" Looks like the Zhone works for mikemee.
Thanks! I'll check it out

leifs wrote:I switched to FTTN and have a decommissioned Zyxel P-663HN-51 bonding modem/router free for the taking if you pick it up here in Palo Alto. It was issued by Sonic and was working well for me with Fusion bonded service (later renamed to Fusion X2). Just send me a PM.

Note: This only supports ADSL2+ with ATM, not VDSL with PTM.
I'll probably pm you!

I guess what router I get really depends on what chip I get put on, right? (adsl vs vdsl)
by leifs » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:20 pm
It looks like the Zyxel might not work if you're put on the new type of DSLAM that supports VDSL, even if they only give you ADSL2+ due to distance.

See Dane's comment here: viewtopic.php?t=2649&p=17058#p17058
by Guest » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:01 pm
leifs wrote:It looks like the Zyxel might not work if you're put on the new type of DSLAM that supports VDSL, even if they only give you ADSL2+ due to distance.

I do think I'm close enough for vdsl.. we'll see.
by dct » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:34 pm
Guest wrote:
leifs wrote:It looks like the Zyxel might not work if you're put on the new type of DSLAM that supports VDSL, even if they only give you ADSL2+ due to distance.

If you give us a call, or send me a PM, I can check for you.
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
by Guest » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:27 pm
dct wrote:
Guest wrote:

If you give us a call, or send me a PM, I can check for you.
Doesn't seem like I can PM without a sonic account..
By any chance is there an email I can contact you at?
9 posts Page 1 of 1