Advice on Wireless settings for ZXV10

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by mdahlman » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:00 pm
My Wifi access seems slow, and I'm looking for advice about what to try. I'm using the Sonic-provided ZTE ZXV10 W300 wireless modem/router. Here's what I mean by slow.

I tested my download speed using speedtest.net. I ran the test several times (21 times) over a half hour of testing. I got quite consistent results as follows:
While using ethernet to the router - 8 Mbps
While using Wifi to the router - 3 Mbps

The ethernet number was quite consistent. The Wifi number was more variable, ranging from 2 to nearly 5 Mbps. Intuitively, wifi will surely be slower than or equal to ethernet. But this gap seems like a big enough drop in performance that there's something I could do about it.

I have searched for advice online, but I haven't found anything too helpful yet. Here is that I have tinkered with:
  • Channel - I tried manually setting 1, 11, others. I settled back on Auto since there was no observable effect.
  • Location - My laptop is about 4 feet from the wireless router. Moving farther had no impact.
  • Restricting to g rather than b/g
So now I'm hoping for a sanity check: is it likely that I can close the performance gap between wired and wireless?
And what ideas are there I can use to continue to tweak settings?

I attached my wireless settings as a screenshot in case it indicates anything that looks amiss.
Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 11.43.49.png
Wireless Access Point Settings
Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 11.43.49.png (62.53 KiB) Viewed 2982 times
by Guest » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:24 pm
mdahlman wrote:My Wifi access seems slow, and I'm looking for advice about what to try.
Run a program like HeatMapper to see what kind of signals you're getting to get started. http://www.ekahau.com/wifidesign/ekahau-heatmapper
2 posts Page 1 of 1