sonic is bouncing eveything from my gmail acct

General discussions and other topics.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by minister » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:59 pm
Hi, I just opened a new gmail account and sonic is bouncing everything from it with the following message:
The error that the other server returned was:
530 5.3.0 recipient declines mail from 209.85.216.65 [orthrus:BL2]

After talking with support they said this has to do with some new spam filters you are installing. I would like to use this new accoount to send to sonic.net email addresses. thanks, David
by kgc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:29 pm
I've disabled this rule and I'm sorry for getting in the way of legitimate traffic. For the record, this was a hit across a two dynamic reputation lists that I'd hoped would provide reliable results when used together but its clear that it will need some additional tempering to be effective without causing problems for legitimate delivery.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by minister » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:37 pm
thank you. Seems to work now.
by gie » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:25 pm
I am getting a similar bounce

530 5.3.0 recipient declines
mailsee http://www.spamhaus.org/que
212.10.108 [orthrus:SHCSS]
(in reply to RCPT TO command)

Please can you take a look? I have an email in to support as well.
by kgc » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:53 pm
The final rule that triggered the block was the SpamHaus CSS list. This implies that the IP address has been used to snowshoe spam. However, you've not included the entire IP address so I cannot validate or look into this further. The SpamHaus ZEN service is quite popular and well regarded - meaning that this server is/was likely to have trouble delivering mail to many other providers as well.
Kelsey Cummings
by gie » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:38 pm
by gie » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:41 pm
I looked up this IP address in the Spamhaus blocklist query and got this:
<redact>

Edited: I now see that if the server is listed in Spamhaus CSS list it will also be blocked. This is a giant problem for me. I have asked the forwarding organization to request the server be removed from CSS list... Do I gather there is nothing that can be done on the sonic side?
by kgc » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:03 pm
It looks like that IP address is no longer listed in the CSS and we've been accepting messages from it since about 12:47.
Kelsey Cummings
by gie » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:12 pm
Thank you very much! Will now redact to prevent future spamming. Really appreciate your response.
9 posts Page 1 of 1