Can't post to Forums when on FTTN; ok via Sonic VPN?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
38 posts Page 4 of 4
by blakers » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:40 pm
test post; no vpn
by williamt » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:42 pm
Seems to be working!
Sr. Systems Administrator @ sonic.net
by Guest » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:48 pm
blakers wrote:test post; no vpn
Did you/Sonic do anything to make this happen?
by blakers » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:08 pm
WilliamT @ Sonic made some changes/fixes to their MTU path negotiation to/through the Uverse modem.

We'd 1st figured out that if I manually dropped my MTU = 1472, I could log in & post with no VPN.

The DHCP server in the modem is, apparently, serving up a MTU = 1500; I needed to override it.

After changes @Sonic, I can simply allow the Modem to assign what it'll assign, i.e. MTU = 1500, and the link now "just works" for posting at Sonic forums (uplloading to Webmail also turnned out to have been a problem) without VPN.
by Guest » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:35 pm
blakers wrote:WilliamT @ Sonic made some changes/fixes to their MTU path negotiation to/through the Uverse modem.
That's great. Here's some food for thought. http://rachelbythebay.com/w/2015/05/15/pmtud. I used to block it on my firewall, too. But nowadays I tend to leave it on so Sonic could get valuable statistics on their end. I don't think they monitor Fusion FTTN connections but I still do it so whoever is responsible for the last mile can still troubleshoot.
by blakers » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:43 pm
I know about pmtud. I did not have it enabled in this case. I assumed that the modem's getting the correct value from upstream via DHCP client, and turning around and serving that same correct value to my router's DHCP client.

What I do NOT know, is whether it'd find the best/right MTU in this ^^ case -- where the assigned MTU seemed fine with any/all sites, except for specific function (post) on a specific site (Sonic). Not sure if or how the pmtud auto-discovery would get (re)triggered.

EDIT

Digging around on this I find

How do I resolve timeouts and connectivity issues when IPv6 is enabled on my RG?
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/17822

It refers to issues only with IPv6, but I suspect similar issues here on IPv4 only (since IPv6 is DOA ...)

As mentioned above, MTU=1472 worked prior to the changes @Sonic; =1490 did not. I didn't test @ = 1480 ...

EDIT2

This reply

Re: What are the req'd MTUs for FTTN wan- & lan-side ?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2890&p=19313#p19312

provides some heuristic evidence that MTU=1500 is the right setting for FTTN -- at least on 1x VDSL2.

Which suggests that WilliamT's correction on the @Sonic-side, rather than something on the user's end, is the right solution.
by kgc » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:08 pm
There is no conceivable reason to disable PMTUD. Without it, you will have trouble communicating with any endpoint that has a smaller MTU that your endpoint.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by blakers » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:12 pm
I did not disable it.

I did not have it explicitly enabled.

What the default is -- enabled or disabled -- I do not know.

Here, anyway, it's enabled explicitly now.

In any case, per your last post in the referred thread, it appears to be have been unrelated to this issue.
38 posts Page 4 of 4