Static IP Setup TP-Link TD-8817 or D-Link DSL-520B

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by pehill » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:28 am
Does anyone know how to set up either a TP-Link TD-8817 modem or a D-Link DSL-520B to work with 8 static Sonic IP's. My 6 year old Speedstream 5100 provide by Sonic has become unstable. Sonic will not replace or help. Do I need to find a new ISP?
by dherr » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:20 am
Is that 8 static to modem to hub/switch to clients?

Or is that 8 static to modem to *router* to clients?
If this one is yes then I suspect you just need to use bridging mode on the modem and the router keeps the same config as before.

Are you sure you even need 8 static IP?

So, Sonic does not want to help at all due to you needing help with the 8 static IP setup, or they want to help but only want to help you with a modem and/or router that they know how to support and want you to enter the router/wire insurance plan?

I have sympathy for avoiding the rental plan, as I did the same until I switched to FTTN. It was nice to be able to avoid that extra billing item. But at the same time I do understand the value of that plan.
by pehill » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:13 am
The 8 static plan is a very old Sonic plan. I use the different IP's for server set ups I test and need to dial remotely back into. Using some info from other type modems I got very lucky after frustrating hours and got the D-link modem to work. The old original modem will not put up a log in screen so I could not view it's settings and the only help note at the Sonic site is that there is no information as sonic preconfigured it.
3 posts Page 1 of 1