FTTN being throttled?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 2 of 2
by Guest » Tue May 26, 2015 10:34 pm
bobrk wrote:Manufacturer Pace Plc
Model 5031NV-030
Ha. The only reason why I haven't run into this is the web server gets hosed way before that so I need to reboot it. You may want to check out the statistics when the modem goes downhill to see if there are any indicators things aren't working well.
by dherr » Wed May 27, 2015 7:50 am
Maybe I should start a new topic for this, but the last note brings this to mind...

I was looking around to see if I currently have an unused lamp timer that I could setup to reboot the router each night. A digital timer might be better since I could set it to once a week or whatever.

But!!!!!

What happens if my timer power cycles it while AT&T is pushing out a firmware update?

Is it a fully safe install, that will only try to boot to the new firmware if it is a complete upload?
Obviously it needs double the firmware memory space to be able to do this.

Else, am I stuck offline waiting for AT&T to deliver a new router?

Even if I did not use a timer to reboot it, would I even know that it was doing a firmware update?
by Guest » Wed May 27, 2015 9:10 pm
dherr wrote:What happens if my timer power cycles it while AT&T is pushing out a firmware update?
Whoever designed the thing better plan for that occurrence, or else they should find another career. Power goes down and up in a residential environment all the time.

I imagine it will download the firmware onto a separate boot partition or whatever, and after it verifies the file integrity it can then reboot using that image. If the download is interrupted it would just have to start over again until a clean version checks out.
by dane » Thu May 28, 2015 12:49 pm
Correct, it's fail safe.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by netllama » Sat May 30, 2015 7:59 pm
andsonic wrote:Funny that this topic has come up. I've noticed that when I'm binge-watching Netflix, that my connection will go down temporarily. This has occurred a few Saturdays in a row. This Saturday it dropped 3-4 times in a 45 minute window. I also had issues with the voice line at the same time. Incoming callers got fast busies, or silence when dialing my number. I thought they would at least get my voicemail.

But I was wondering if my Netflix issues might be related to throttling (by AT&T). My speedtests still clock in around 18 - 20 mbps download speeds.
Similar problems here since "upgrading" from legacy DSL (at 6Mb/s) to FTTN (about 22Mb/s). The connection drops out often whenever I'm streaming on Netflix. Other times it seems to be fairly stable. I've called Sonic Support multiple times, and honestly, they've been utterly useless. Their advice has varied from "call us when its down" (as if I can do that for the 2 minutes that it dies at random), to "reboot the modem" (I've done that a half dozen times in the 2 weeks that I've had FTTN), to "it looks ok now, call us back if it happens again".

Sadly, reselling AT&T's FTTN product has made Sonic Support just about useless. They clearly have no ability to troubleshoot anything any more.
by andsonic » Sat May 30, 2015 8:40 pm
I've called Sonic each time. I just wanted to get it on record with Support. My gut is telling me it's something with AT&T that Sonic will have to work out.
16 posts Page 2 of 2