New Modem/Router Required?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 2 of 2
by digitalbitstream » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:45 pm
a55n8z1k wrote:I think you will get a good benefit out of the modem/router if you have Fusion......
The pace modem supplied has weak wifi, is not gigabit on the lan, and has few traffic monitoring features. It is not the router I want to have.
by oddhack » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:12 pm
digitalbitstream wrote: The pace modem supplied has weak wifi, is not gigabit on the lan, and has few traffic monitoring features. It is not the router I want to have.
Are there actually combined ADSL2+ modem + GigE router products available now? Couldn't find one last year.
by dane » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:28 pm
oddhack wrote:
digitalbitstream wrote: The pace modem supplied has weak wifi, is not gigabit on the lan, and has few traffic monitoring features. It is not the router I want to have.
Are there actually combined ADSL2+ modem + GigE router products available now? Couldn't find one last year.
The Pace 5233N has Gig-E LAN ports.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:25 pm
oddhack wrote:
digitalbitstream wrote:Are there actually combined ADSL2+ modem + GigE router products available now? Couldn't find one last year.
There are a variety. The WAG320N for example. And the energy use efficiency of GigE produces is generally good these days: no longer do you pay an electricity penalty for GigE.

But you may be better off with a relatively dumb "modem", and a fancier "router". The ADSL modem part of the combo seems pretty mature, but the router/wlan products are rapidly evolving. The only hassle with this setup is ensuring routing in reverse (from outside to your box), if you use that for anything.
by Guest » Fri May 16, 2014 9:36 pm
It's been a year since I switched to Sonic. Still the best value on the market. :)
15 posts Page 2 of 2