Caller ID name in Fusion

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by Wondering » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:22 pm
Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me how I can change the name in caller ID the receiving party sees? Some people I call from my Fusion landline see a name that is no longer correct. I did the easy switch from ATT copper line to Fusion a couple of years ago, retaining the ATT number. When I call a friend's landline the ID indicates a name I want to change.

I'm not sure where the name is stored, but it is associated with the previous ATT customer. I looked in my Fusion settings under "Voice" but didn't see anything obvious, and the Sonic.net wiki is unclear on the matter. So for my own info, and being able to change the name:

- Where is the name stored in Caller ID?
- Is it part of the number itself somewhere?
- Is it changeable in settings within Sonic.net?
- Or is it just something the folks getting my call set up in their own phone to pop up when my number reads in Caller ID?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
by virtualmike » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:27 pm
There are databases to which all the phone companies subscribe to be able to provide a name to go with the number.

Carriers are able to have names added or updated in the database.

Some carriers give customers a tool to do so, but most (including Sonic.net) handle that. Call 611 and make the request.

Alternatively, using Member Tools or the Fusion App, set your line to block outgoing caller ID.
by aw » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:19 pm
I just called Support and requested this, and was told that Sonic.net will not change any Caller ID data, and by default it's set to city name. This is definitely going to make my life a pain, as I had been trying to call a VP at my company for days and he was just ignoring my calls because they didn't have a Caller ID name set, only city. This is something many people do.

Pretty disappointed about this.
3 posts Page 1 of 1