Change in caller ID handling for unavailable calls?

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by cyclos » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:45 pm
It seems like something has changed in the way Sonic creates the emails and text messages when I receive a call which has a caller ID but does not have any information listed in the database. It used to be that the phone number was listed in the message. Now the message simply says it is from a "private caller". I have a standalone caller ID box which displays the phone number, but both the email and text message just say "private caller".

This is not how the system used to work. I believe this change in behavior occurred about the same time that the testing of the voicemail transciption service started (2 months ago?). This seems like a bug to me. Can it be put back to working the way it used to?

bg
by kgc » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:47 pm
It certainly is possible that I introduced a bug into the system when refactoring the notification code. If you could send me an email the next time you receive one of these, I'll trace it through and figure out if there is a mistake - all I need is the date/time and number that was called. (Or the uuid from the headers of the voicemail in email.) The 'private caller' should only be used when caller-id is blocked and no name or number is available.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by cyclos » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:43 am
Thanks!

I just sent you an example.

bg
by cyclos » Fri May 31, 2013 9:33 am
Has there been any progress on this?

I still routinely receive text messages and email saying a voicemail was left by a "private caller" but it is NOT a private caller. The phone number is clearly shown on both of my caller ID systems.

As I reported earlier, my caller ID box shows "unavailable" for the text description of these numbers. I recently purchased a cordless phone with caller ID. It shows the text description correctly for these same calls. This makes me think there may be a newer version of caller ID being used and one of the sets knows how to decode the text and the other does not.

In any case, these are definitely not private calls and it is annoying not to be able to tell who the call is from when the voicemail message is received.

bg
by cyclos » Fri May 31, 2013 9:52 am
Ignore the part in my previous post where I said that a new cordless phone was showing the text part of the caller ID now. I realize now that that was happening because the phone number was listed in the contact list of the phone.

The problem with the incoming phone number not being shown in text messages and email is still present.

bg
by tpeterson@sonic.net » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:05 pm
kgc wrote:It certainly is possible that I introduced a bug into the system when refactoring the notification code. If you could send me an email the next time you receive one of these, I'll trace it through and figure out if there is a mistake - all I need is the date/time and number that was called. (Or the uuid from the headers of the voicemail in email.) The 'private caller' should only be used when caller-id is blocked and no name or number is available.
Kelsey, I'm seeing the same behavior for 1-888 callers that have no text ID. My desktop phones say "unavailable" and the caller's number, but your email with the .wav file says "private caller" and does not include the phone number. I can send you an example from today if that would help to fix this.

On a related note: When will it be possible to either block all such callers or to add their numbers to a per-line blocking list?
by kgc » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:17 pm
If you wouldn't mind forwarding that email to me, it'd make it easy to track down. Thanks!
Kelsey Cummings
by cyclos » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:22 am
It's been 11 months and still no fix for this. Really?

bg
by kgc » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:53 am
Would you mind forwarding me an example again so I can track this down. It should be easy to fix, I'm not sure why it got dropped before. Sorry!
Kelsey Cummings
by cyclos » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:05 pm
Here's the email I receive. Likewise, the text message I receive says it's a "Private Caller". But my caller ID box on the landline shows the phone number.

bg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Fusion Voicemail from a private caller 01:15
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:54:03 -0800
To: cyclos@sonic.net

Sonic.net Logo <http://www.sonic.net> New Fusion Voicemail
<https://members.sonic.net/>

You have received a new Fusion Voicemail Message

From a private caller at Thu Jan 30 09:54:03 2014 01:15 long. To listen
to the message open the "voicemail.wav" attachment.

To manage your voice mail delivery options go to the voicemail
management tools at https://members.sonic.net/
<https://members.sonic.net/voicemail/>

Contact Support: support@sonic.net | 707.522.1000

Copyright © 2010 Sonic.net All rights reserved.
10 posts Page 1 of 1