Journalist looking for thoughts on Sonic.net speed, cost

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 2 of 2
by msandrof » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:27 pm
One of the main reasons I switched to sonic was cost. I got tired of:

1. Paying ATT $30/mo for very limited landline services with no long distance. This was about the cheapest landline service I could get and it was terrible. Impossible to tell what ATT considered "long distance" and would ding me for additional fees. I get virtually no mobile reception at home.
2. Paying Directv $80/mo for 200 SD channels I don't want and don't care to subsidize.
3. Paying an internet provide $50+/mo for limited broadband and blocked ports.
4. Threatening the above vendors every 6 months that I will cancel unless the reduce my rates.

My total cost for sonic is a bit over $50/mo. I get my TV OTA and on-demand via the internet. This provides everything I want and nothing I don't, all in HD. I live close to the CO so my download speeds are 15-18. If you include the cost of my OTA tivo, 15/mo, I'm still at half the cost of all of the other services, I get more features I want and fewer that I don't.

As others have stated, sonic's customer service is great. They will help you extract the most speed possible out of your connection as well as diagnose issues with great patience. I've had no issues with sonic's service since I've been using it.
by bobrk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:28 am
msandrof wrote:One of the main reasons I switched to sonic was cost. I got tired of:

1. Paying ATT $30/mo for very limited landline services with no long distance. This was about the cheapest landline service I could get and it was terrible. Impossible to tell what ATT considered "long distance" and would ding me for additional fees. I get virtually no mobile reception at home.
2. Paying Directv $80/mo for 200 SD channels I don't want and don't care to subsidize.
3. Paying an internet provide $50+/mo for limited broadband and blocked ports.
4. Threatening the above vendors every 6 months that I will cancel unless the reduce my rates.

My total cost for sonic is a bit over $50/mo. I get my TV OTA and on-demand via the internet. This provides everything I want and nothing I don't, all in HD. I live close to the CO so my download speeds are 15-18. If you include the cost of my OTA tivo, 15/mo, I'm still at half the cost of all of the other services, I get more features I want and fewer that I don't.

As others have stated, sonic's customer service is great. They will help you extract the most speed possible out of your connection as well as diagnose issues with great patience. I've had no issues with sonic's service since I've been using it.
All of this.
12 posts Page 2 of 2