Transfer domain name to sonic?

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by gtwrek » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:46 am
I know these are basic questions, and all possible, but just want some details on how the process would work, and it's not in the sonic FAQs. And I've got just enough knowledge to get myself in trouble...

I've got an existing domain name registered elsewhere. It's sole purpose currently, is to just give me permanent email addresses. I'm NOT setting up any servers of my own.

I've got just two email addresses there. The other register just forwards emails to the addresses to two sonic.net email addresses. It's a forward (akin to a .forward file), not any MX record stuff ( more on that below ). I know this form of forwarding's not ideal - but it works.

I'd like to transfer this registration to sonic. Looks easy enough, I see the tool. How would the email forwarding work? I understand I can setup "MX" records I believe, to make the email go directly to sonic, instead of the "forward" trick. But I'm fuzzy on the details. I've got no interest in puzzling through sendmail documentation. I'm not trying to setup an email server....

Can I expect much down time in my email during the transfer of the domain name?

Thanks,

Mark
by tjj » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:49 pm
When you transfer the domain to Sonic, there is an option to have hosting added as well. You will want to add DNS hosting to allow us to handle mail for the domain. Once that is setup, you can setup domain e-mail addresses through the member tools at https://members.sonic.net/email/domalias/ which is very straight forward with no need to do any sendmail or .forward stuff.

Once you setup the e-mail addresses, there should not be any disruption of e-mail delivery.
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
by virtualmike » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:11 pm
I did exactly what you're considering, Mark. I transferred my domain registration to Sonic.net. I had a hosting package at the former registrar, but I also was using it only for "permanent" email addresses.

I signed up for Sonic.net domain registration, and also for the DNS package. That gave me an unlimited number of email addresses @mydomain, some of which point to mailboxes on sonic.net, while others go to a Gmail box. I manage everything through member tools.

I should note that I ran into issues with the former registrar (GoDaddy) that tried to prevent the name transfer--issues that were NOT Sonic.net's fault, yet Sonic.net helped me get everything prepared so that once the problems were resolved, I was ready to go.
by gtwrek » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:51 pm
All - thanks for the help. Just did the transfer today, and everything went smooth. No loss of any emails in the interim, and everything looks good.

The warnings note "allow 7days" or some such to allow everything to xfer, but it was just a matter of hours for me.

--Mark
by jgamel » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:11 pm
I want my domains moved out of GoDaddy as well: if you don't auto renew, they cancel your domain registration. Is that true of Sonic, too?

GoDaddy doesn't bother to list the price/cost of the auto renewal before you have to do it. Very slimy business practice.
5 posts Page 1 of 1