FTP to www.sonic.net/~username

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by howardt » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:11 am
How do I FTP files to www.sonic.net/~username

Can't figure out the proper path.
by SonicInternetUser » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:43 pm
Short answer is:

ftp://ftp.sonic.net/pub/users/loginname/

Here's the link to the Sonic FTP FAQ where I got the info:

https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... 08-FTP-FAQ
by dragonsclaw » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:30 pm
I don't want to expose my main sonic account name (used for user mailbox admin only). I would like to host some photos, files for bbs sites with limited uploads), but only expose the users mailbox logon name (eg dragonsclaw)., not my sonic account name
by drew.phillips » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:32 pm
dragonsclaw wrote:I don't want to expose my main sonic account name (used for user mailbox admin only). I would like to host some photos, files for bbs sites with limited uploads), but only expose the users mailbox logon name (eg dragonsclaw)., not my sonic account name
Unfortunately, the hosting and FTP directories only work off of principal account names and not mailboxes.

If you have connectivity service, one option would be to take advantage of our free Personal Hosting offer. With that promotion, you register a new domain name (for free!) and in turn we give you free hosting for that domain as long as you continue to pay the yearly domain renewal fee (about $14.95/year).

By registering for a domain name with the Personal Hosting offer, you can then host and link your files to the domain name instead of sonic.net/~username. As a bonus, you can also create email aliases so that you can forward mail from that domain to one or more Sonic mailboxes.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by veillady » Thu May 02, 2019 6:45 pm
Don't know if this info will help you, but I am using CoffeeCup Direct FTP.
When you log into your Sonic account it has these fields;
nickname
server
username
password

I was confused by the assorted lines that I was seeing;
/ftp/pub/users/veillady
/home/WWW_pages/login/
/pub/users/loginname/
ftp://ftp.sonic.net/pub/users/loginname/

You fill it out like this;
Nickname; Sonic