Hosting a subdomain with a different provider

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by bradman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:26 pm
Hi all,
I have a domain hosted on sonic. I am currently building an online store on another host. Can I configure a subdomain (ex. store.mysonicsite.com) on sonic to point to the site on the other host? Or do I need to host the subdomain on sonic via a subfolder off my main domain folder with CNAME record, .htaccess file, etc.?

I called tech support about it but they told me subdomains were done by modifying my existing website code - which makes no sense to me at all. For starters, where would name resolution take place?

Anyhoo, if possible I'm trying to avoid buying a new top-level domain just for the store site and trying to avoid moving the entire site to sonic if I don't have to.

So, is it possible to host a top-level domain on sonic and a sub-domain elsewhere? If so, how do I make it happen?

Thanks in advance,
Brad
by virtualmike » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:25 pm
Yes, it can be done. I used to have a subdomain hosted at Google Apps. DNS was provided through Sonic's servers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1