using .htaccess and .htgroup and sh connection with PUTTY for website passwords

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
1 post Page 1 of 1
by ljnevin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:13 pm
I am making changes to my website, including adding new passwords, and this is the first time I have used shell access (sh.sonic.net) and the command lines (using PUTTY) to activate .htaccess and .htgroup in my website directory.

My older password set still works, but when I replace these files with the new protocols and follow the procedures indicated in the Sonic .htaccess help document (sections 5 and 6) I get almost nowhere.

I need to put in place a group of passwords in a single website directory, but for the moment can't even put a single password in place. After creating .htaccess for this case, I then use PUTTY to get into the my shell to create htpasswd. The .htaccess has been uploaded to my directory and I can view it there. After login on PUTTY I type the command line:

htpasswd -c /home/www_pages/MYLOGIN/MYPASSWORDDIRECTORY/.htpasswd USERNAME

where the caps indicate my information. All I get is a response "htpasswd illegal option", plus a long list of accepted options, one of which is the -c option I am using, which is supposed to be the one I use to generate the .htpasswd file in my directory. There is then no prompt for a password, and no .htpasswd file placed into the directory. M.A.X.I.M.U.M. F.R.U.S.T.R.A.T.I.O.N.

I wonder if anyone could supply a simple template example for a proper .htaccess file plus the proper sh command that will actually work if I simply substitute my own login, directory, etc?
1 post Page 1 of 1