Best practice for hosted domain email containers

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by osmack » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:09 am
Just transferred my existing domain over to Sonic and unfortunately found out that native domain-email containers (aka me@myfamilyname.com) cannot be done! I'm very disappointed that this was not explicitly stated whatsoever in the description of "hosting" services page.

Since I now have to create an @sonic.net mailbox to receive emails sent directly to "me@myfamilyname.com, what is a best practice naming-convention to use in order to complete this ridiculous extra step?

I'd presume people do something like this:

person1.myfamilydomain@sonic.net
person1_myfamilydomain@sonic.net
mfd_person1@sonic.net
by virtualmike » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:27 pm
I don't know if there is a best practice, but what I did for my mailboxes (= containers) is use the person's name with the domain as a suffix, with no punctuation; e.g.,

person1mydomain@sonic.net
person2mydomain@sonic.net
etc.

It may be a bit disconcerting at first that the actual mailbox to be accessed is not person@mydomain.net. However, there's an advantage that multiple email addresses can point to a single mailbox. In my case, mike@mydomain.net, mikey@mydomain.net, and virtualmike@mydomain.net all point to a single mailbox -- mikemydomain@sonic.net.

I use Thunderbird to access my email, and that lets me define multiple email addresses for the mailbox, as does Sonic Web Mail.

It may not be done the way other providers handle it, but once you get used to it, you won't notice much difference.
2 posts Page 1 of 1