Squarespace DNS Settings CNAME

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by srgc03 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:08 pm
I am trying to connect my "old" domain to a new host site and my DNS Settings are not matching up. I have created a website through Squarespace and they require two CNAME records. In my Sonic DNS settings I have multiple CNAMES and Squarespace is telling me that my CNAMEs need to be unique. Do I need to delete some of my DNS settings through Sonic to be able to continue? Is that what is causing me issues? I just called to receive some assistance and the person that I spoke with directed me to this forum instead.
by drew.phillips » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:15 pm
It's definitely possible to set up your Sonic DNS to work with Squarespace and make all the changes they require to get things working.

Looking at https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-u ... space-site , it looks like they want 4 "A" records set up to point your domain to several of their IP addresses.

In addition to the A records, "www.yourdomain.com" should be a CNAME record of "ext-cust.squarespace.com" (you may need to delete an existing record for "www.yourdomain.com" which points to yourdomain.com).

They may also have you set a verification record, which is a random string, that is a CNAME record pointing to verify.squarespace.com.

Any existing A records pointing to Sonic's hosting, for example 209.204.175.65 (parked.sonic.net) should be deleted.

If you're still stuck and can provide more specifics, or private message me your domain name and/or Sonic username, I can take a closer look.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
2 posts Page 1 of 1