Squarespace DNS Settings CNAME

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by srgc03 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:08 pm
I am trying to connect my "old" domain to a new host site and my DNS Settings are not matching up. I have created a website through Squarespace and they require two CNAME records. In my Sonic DNS settings I have multiple CNAMES and Squarespace is telling me that my CNAMEs need to be unique. Do I need to delete some of my DNS settings through Sonic to be able to continue? Is that what is causing me issues? I just called to receive some assistance and the person that I spoke with directed me to this forum instead.
by drew.phillips » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:15 pm
It's definitely possible to set up your Sonic DNS to work with Squarespace and make all the changes they require to get things working.

Looking at https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-u ... space-site , it looks like they want 4 "A" records set up to point your domain to several of their IP addresses.

In addition to the A records, "www.yourdomain.com" should be a CNAME record of "ext-cust.squarespace.com" (you may need to delete an existing record for "www.yourdomain.com" which points to yourdomain.com).

They may also have you set a verification record, which is a random string, that is a CNAME record pointing to verify.squarespace.com.

Any existing A records pointing to Sonic's hosting, for example 209.204.175.65 (parked.sonic.net) should be deleted.

If you're still stuck and can provide more specifics, or private message me your domain name and/or Sonic username, I can take a closer look.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by LLA » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:07 pm
Hi Drew,
As the post above I'm trying to satisfy the necessary info for Squarespace. I have a WordPress site currently that is limping so decided to build a fresh SqSpace site which is not live yet and in trial status. I think you're familiar with their needs. I copied their DNS settings page. All this info was already filled in but the CNAME and A records are all red highlighted as incorrect... My domain name and URL are correct according to "modify host records" page on Sonic, don't know anything about the other A records or where they came from. I might mention this stuff is kinda heady for me as I'm in the wine biz not computer world. So, pls keep that in mind when replying, I need simple. Appreciate any help.

This table shows you the DNS entries needed to connect your domain. Incorrect or missing entries are highlighted in red. Log in to your domain provider to manage these settings. If you need help adding and removing DNS entries, follow our step-by-step guide that walks you through the process.
Host Record Required Data Current Data
dpkmtte379pnbrg5a52b CNAME verify.squarespace.com Record not found
www CNAME ext-cust.squarespace.com "mydomainname.com"
@ A 198.185.159.144 "192.mine correct"
@ A 198.185.159.145 Record not found
@ A 198.49.23.144 Record not found
@ A 198.49.23.145 Record not found
by LLA » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:59 pm
OK, so I kept at it and figured I needed to create the CNAME records and A records in Sonic "modify host records" so I added the new records with the info SqSpce provided and as I was adding the final A record the page errored out saying:
"An error occurred while processing your request. Sonic.net has been notified of this problem" ARGH!!!!
by drew.phillips » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:50 pm
Hi LLA,

I believe I see the error that happened while adding the last record. It looks like we had a problem connecting to our DNS system's database server to add the record, but this was just a transient error so trying again should fix it.

But you're right, the multiple A records and CNAME that squarespace wants just need to be added with our Host Records tool. You'll only have one A record by default which points to us. This needs to be removed and the others added.

How are things looking at the moment?
Drew Phillips
by LLA » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:27 pm
Hey Drew, I persevered and got it all added and deleted as needed. It works! Can I just say making, selling and drinking wine is a lot easier..... AND much more rewarding!!! Well, at least for some of us!
by drew.phillips » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:04 pm
LLA wrote:Hey Drew, I persevered and got it all added and deleted as needed. It works! Can I just say making, selling and drinking wine is a lot easier..... AND much more rewarding!!! Well, at least for some of us!
I'm glad you got it all set! Sorry about that little bump with the database error on the last record, that never helps. I'll leave the making and selling of the wine to you, and stick to just drinking it, and hopefully you won't have to think about DNS again for quite a while :)
Drew Phillips
7 posts Page 1 of 1