SSL Certificates

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
27 posts Page 1 of 3
by nedwarda » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:38 pm
Hello:

I am seeking support regarding installing an SSL Certificate on 3 sites that I manage.

2 are Value Hosting, and 1 is Basic; 2 are WordPress and 1 is a static HTML website.

I am assuming I need to purchase the certificates from a 3rd party vendor, such as Comodo. Does Sonic support Let's Encrypt?

What do I need to do to load these once purchased? Please advise!

Thanks for your help, Ned
by joemuller » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:12 pm
Hi,

At the moment, SSL certificates for enabling HTTPS access is only available via the 'Custom Hosting' tier, which has a higher monthly cost than 'Basic Hosting'.

For each website/domain, you would need to provide your own 3rd-party SSL certificate. (Popular vendors include NameCheap, Comodo, and GoDaddy) There is no server-side support for LetsEncrypt certificates right now.

I recommend reaching out to our Customer Support team at support@sonic.net if you have more questions or want to get the ball rolling.

-- Joe M.
Sonic System Operations
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by fiberadm » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:50 am
joemuller wrote: I recommend reaching out to our Customer Support team at support@sonic.net if you have more questions or want to get the ball rolling.
Is this ball rolling?
by joemuller » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:15 pm
fiberadm wrote:
joemuller wrote: I recommend reaching out to our Customer Support team at support@sonic.net if you have more questions or want to get the ball rolling.
Is this ball rolling?
I believe all interested parties have contacted us, yes. If you are interested in setting up SSL for a website hosted with Sonic, please send an email to support@sonic.net with the details and any questions you may have.

-- Joe M.
Sonic System Operations
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by nedwarda » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:52 pm
Hi:

I have spoken to tech support/customer service.

In order to support a 3rd party SSL, one must have a Custom web hosting account, which I believe runs in the neighborhood of $35.00 per month.

No way my clients will tolerate the upcharge from their current hosting plans, plus the purchase of the Certificate, as an SSL is not critical for their sites. And thank you Google Chrome!

I realize that web hosting is not Sonic's "raison d'etre", but if you're offering the service to your members, you could stand to be more competitive.

Thanks, Ned.
by nhbriggs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:34 pm
This is disappointing to read.

I think that Let's Encrypt support would be the way to go, since the certificates are free to the domain owner, and Sonic could charge a (hopefully small) fee to cover the administrative/management overhead of supporting the Let's Encrypt handling.
by Anonymous1831 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:46 pm
I just moved my hosting service from Sonic to a competitor because of this. There isn’t anything on my website that really needs to be encrypted, but I also don’t want it to be marked “Not Secure” or otherwise restricted by browsers.

Support for TLS 1.2 with Let’s Encrypt has become a basic web hosting feature, and its absence from reasonably-priced plans is a disappointment, if an understandable one: clearly Sonic is unlikely to be a strong competitor for mass-market hosting services with their tremendous economies of scale.
by lr » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:12 am
This really needs to be fixed. Offering hosting that is not capable of SSL or https is beginning to be pointless. Sonic will have to adapt to the change. That unfortunately includes empowering its customers to get SSL certificates. Fortunately, with Let's Encrypt that is free, nearly painless, and easy to automate.

Do I like this? No, not at all. Personally, I feel that the push to stamp out all unsecured http is silly: Folks who serve static web pages to the public with non-controversial content (like baby pictures intended for grandma and uncles to look at) really don't need the extra security that is provided by https, since all their content is out in public anyway, and the risk of MiM-attacks is de-facto non existing. Alas, the web community has decided that everyone has to use https, and is shaming folks who don't, so this needs to get done.

A related quest is updating the member tools for DNS updates to allow automating (scripting) updates of DNS text records, for those people who have their DNS with Sonic, and need to use Let's Encrypt DNS challenges for certificate renewal.
Linda and Ralph and John; 735 Sunset Ridge Road; Los Gatos, CA 95033; 408-395-1435
by andybraden » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:41 pm
It isn't just irrelevant, it is down right irresponsible and unsafe. Sites that are not in https mode should not be in use anymore. Wordpress users would be well advised to note that the free version of wordpress hosting comes with SSL by default. Because it is not responsible to put sites up without it.
by chucko » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:47 pm
Add my voice to the chorus. I'm a Value Hosting subscriber. Please consider adding support for Let's Encrypt.
27 posts Page 1 of 3