I need to export my database

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by gavio » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:59 pm
I'm moving my domain to another host (one that hopefully will provide actual technical support) and apparently I need to export my database from my website here.... I don't really know what the database is or why I need it, but that's what they tell me...

I go into member tools and click on databases, and all I get are options for adding new databases, but no option for accessing or downloading my existing one....

How to do it?

Thank you

Gavio
by joemuller » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:59 pm
Hi,

It looks like your site is using Wordpress. For sites that were set up with our One-Click installer (yours appears to be one of these), the manage (phpMyAdmin) option in Member Tools is unavailable.

However, all of the database information, including the server, name, user, and password, can be found in your site's wp_config.php file.

There are a couple ways you can export the database contents:

1.) If you're comfortable with the command-line, you can use the 'mysqldump' utility on shell.sonic.net.

Code: Select all

mysqldump --host=DB_HOST --user=DB_USER --password --databases DB_NAME > wordpress_database_backup.sql
When prompted, you'll need to enter the password that is listed under DB_PASSWORD in your wp_config.php file. If everything goes well, you should have a full backup of the database for your Wordpress site in the 'wordpress_database_backup.sql' file - this can be downloaded to your computer via FTP/SFTP.

2.) A number of plugins are available for Wordpress that can export your database from within the Admin panel. For more details, see the Database Backup Plugins section on this Wordpress Support page. (They also have an excellent page on Moving Wordpress.)

Let me know if this works for you.

-- Joe M.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
2 posts Page 1 of 1