Basic Hosting, e-commerce & SSL (Drupal)

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by dsisley » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:13 pm
I'm working on a site for a client, putting together a drupal-based e-commerce site and I'm worried I may have misjudged the environment I've set up at Sonic.

The site is currently hosted under an account with 'Basic Hosting', with a static IP address. It's time for me to set up SSL for credit card processing, and I'm not sure it will work. I contacted Sonic Support, and it sounds like I need to add the SSL Service to the account ($19/month), and then put the drupal installation onto ssl.sonic.net?

I've set up SSL on other Drupal sites, but in those instances, it was a dedicated server where I could configure Apache. Usually in drupal you'd just indicate the pages where you want to use SSL - not run the whole site that way.

I would think that I'm not the first person to do this - does anyone reading this have experience with this sort of setup on Sonic?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

-dave.
by kgc » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:37 pm
Dave, if you would like them to host with us what you actually want is what we refer to as "custom hosting" that we would manually configure for you. Our web cluster has a lot of advantages but SSL support unfortunately isn't one of them. The custom hosting service will put you in a dedicated VM that we can tweak to meet your needs (within reason.) Since it is a manual setup process we haven't publicized the service and have only really made it available to people that ask. Send me an email if you are interested in more information.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
2 posts Page 1 of 1