Setting up my home server

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by rn1041 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:21 am
Hello all,

I'm new to Sonic and was wondering if anyone can post any links to resources that go over how to setup a home server on Sonic? I'm no expert but with my last ISP (VZ FIOS), I was able to figure out the IP address of my server, open up ports/TCP, etc. such that I could access the machine when on/off my home network. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Richard
by ngufra » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:54 pm
If you are on fiber, sonic only allows dynamic ip, otherwise, sonic allows you to choose a static ip.
If you have dynamic ip, you can use a service like dyndns or no-ip to be able to resolve your home ip from outside your home.

you will need to setup redirections for specific ports on the router to your server. for example if you want to run an http server, you will need to forward tcp traffic on port 80 to the local ip f your server. You will also have to ensure your server always uses the same local ip. There should be a reservation table in the router webUI to set a static mapping between MAC addresses and IP addresses.
All these settings are accessible thought the webUI of the router and access information (url, password) should be on a sticker on the router.

Ensure your passwords are not default!
If you are not sure what you are doing, maybe you should not do it.

-Francois
2 posts Page 1 of 1