Higher levels of PHP

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by davideo » Sun May 06, 2018 10:57 am
I've got a crashed WordPress website that WordPress is unable to restore because my PHP level is 4.4.9, and they require 7.0 or above to be able to transfer files. I modified my .htaccess file as directed in this forum to call for 5.6, 5.3 and 5.0, but none of them made a difference. As far as I can tell from this forum, PHP 7.0 isn't supported by Sonic.

Support today was unable to confirm today whether that was true or not. I'd appreciate hearing from Sonic operations staff, or anyone informed as to these matters, what would be needed to add PHP 7.0 to my site.

Thanks,

--Davideo
by joemuller » Mon May 07, 2018 1:19 pm
David,

All the core functionality of Wordpress should be available using PHP 5.6. We do not have PHP 7.x available at the moment, but it is on the radar.

For quick-reference purposes, here's what you'll want to make sure is at the top of your .htaccess (that's a 'dot', followed by 'htaccess' for the name) file:

Code: Select all

AddHandler php-cgi .php
Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php56
If you've been moving the site around between directories or services, you may want to check the following Wordpress support page:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

Best of luck!
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by malloys » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:35 am
Hey Sonic support,

I realize this is an 10-month old thread but...

Any update (specifically, a target date) on Sonic's plans for the availability of PHP 7.3?

The WordPress folks have this to say about previous version's insecurity:
https://wordpress.org/support/update-php/

And, to confirm, my WordPress dashboard indicates the following:

"PHP Update Required"
"WordPress has detected that your site is running on an insecure version of PHP."

FWIW, I'm currently running PHP 5.5, but I'm sure that upgrading to 5.6 will not eliminate the warning message. A 7.x version is required.

So, any update on the target date for PHP 7.x availability?

Thanks much.
by ankh » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:51 pm
Hello, is the current PHP stll "on the radar"?

I saw this caution:
PHP versions older than 7.1 are are not receiving security patches from the core PHP team and not getting new releases, so those get flagged as a critical issue in the WP Site Health Tool.
by kcfphoto2 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:03 am
My site crashed during a WordPress update last week. I first contacted Sonic Support and though they were nice but could not help me. So I then contacted the WP template company that I use for my site. They were able to roll back my WP version to restore it. I am now looking to migrate my hosting to another host if Sonic can't/won't update PHP to the newest version.

1. This PHP issue has been going on for some time and this is the second time it has caused my business downtime.
2. Could someone in the know explain in somewhat simple terms why updating PHP is such an issue with Sonic?
3. I have been Sonic member since June of 1995 and am discouraged (understatement) that I need to look elsewhere for my hosting.
by kcfphoto » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:10 am
Sorry, Duplicate message above from me.
by joemuller » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:35 pm
malloys wrote: The WordPress folks have this to say about previous version's insecurity:
https://wordpress.org/support/update-php/

And, to confirm, my WordPress dashboard indicates the following:

"PHP Update Required"
"WordPress has detected that your site is running on an insecure version of PHP."

FWIW, I'm currently running PHP 5.5, but I'm sure that upgrading to 5.6 will not eliminate the warning message. A 7.x version is required.
As of December 2019, Wordpress is still compatible with PHP 5.6.20 or later (using the 'php56' option will give you 5.6.34). You will still get a warning, but it will not prevent your site from working or receiving updates.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by kcfphoto » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:57 pm
So why Sonic can’t/won’t update PHP?
by ankh » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:06 pm
> why

Just guessing, but since an update has been "on the radar" for quite a while as noted above -- I'd guess they're working on it.

My experience checking software is that every change/improvement reveals unsuspected dependencies --- aka breaks something else. Either in-house, or at the WP source, or in some customer's setup, the improvement will reveal something unexpected, like an old hard pointer to a newly-changed directory or filename.
9 posts Page 1 of 1