Internal server error - please help

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by gavio » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:38 am
I had an internal server error come up yesterday on my site and its blocking me from being able to access my WordPress dashboard, and also comes up when simply trying to visit my page..... My website is livebetterbydesign.com...... Sonic tech support agents won't do anything to help me, they just keeps telling me to go to the forums..... I'm hoping someone can help me..... The full text of the error is here:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, support@sonic.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.41 Server at http://www.livebetterbydesign.com Port 80
by drew.phillips » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:49 pm
Hi Gavio,

I took a quick look and it looks like the w3 Total Cache plugin was the culprit.

It adds a directive that is not compatible with our version of Apache which breaks the entire site. I've corrected the issue for the time being. I'd suggest logging in and removing the w3 Total Cache at this time as I'm not sure it has an option to prevent it from adding the problematic line.

The problem comes from:

Code: Select all

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
        Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
    </IfModule>
The 4th parameter where the env is specified is not supported so this causes the global 500 error.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by gavio » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:29 pm
Thank you so much.... I didn't understand the bit about the code, but I've eliminated the plugin and all seems well.... I'm not sure what that plugin is, and don't remember adding it, but it's gone now......

Thanks again.....
by drew.phillips » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:22 am
Happy to help. It's possible that was automatically installed by a 3rd party plugin as part of a site-wide optimization.

In any case, glad everything is back to normal now!
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
4 posts Page 1 of 1