Sonic website statistics compared to Google Analytics?

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by jspirit » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:34 pm
Hello, There is a wide variation of website statistics (for example # of website visits per month) between Google Analytics and Sonic's resource usage data. I am creating a year end report for my org, and would like to understand why ther's such a big difference and which should I rely on.
Thanks!
by drew.phillips » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:57 pm
Google Analytics is more accurate and better at correlating individual users and differentiating new vs. returning visitors and pageview calculations.

Google Analytics will be unable to track people with Javascript disabled (not too common) or those who explicitly block Google Analytics (pretty uncommon I think).

Nothing will be perfect, but GA will be good. Sonic's resource usage stats are calculated from looking at your website's access logs (so Javascript or blocking is not possible), but Google has billions to invest in it's analytics product so it's insights and accuracy will reflect that.

Hope that helps!
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by jspirit » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:27 pm
Thanks!
3 posts Page 1 of 1