Wordpress Installation Problem

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by ps5 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:54 pm
A disclaimer: I don't know anything about this.

I have web hosting for a domain through Sonic and it's simply had a single placeholder page for too long; I'm now ready to install and use Wordpress as an actual website.

I get the following error message when trying to install Wordpress:

Wordpress could not be set up at the URL and directory you selected.

You can try again in a different directory.

I was able to install Wordpress successfully on another Sonic-hosted personal website (and think it's pretty great for novice users like me!). I think what's happening (and please forgive my ignorance in the simplistic terms used) is that the old placeholder page is not allowing Wordpress to install over the top of it.

How do I delete the old page contents and reset everything back to zero so Wordpress can be installed?
by drew.phillips » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:41 am
Hi ps5,

The WordPress installer keeps track of where it's installed copies to in the past so it won't allow you to install to a location where it was previously installed, even if you delete the files. We can remove the reference to it so you could re-install though.

Last night I saw you sent in a support ticket and I addressed another issue with the WordPress install and responded to you so things are working now. If you still need assistance, go ahead and reply to that email.

Thanks!
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by thomaspandolfi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:37 pm
My website was up and running with 2 days of work. Something went wrong and my downloads disappeared. I tried various stunts to get things going again and the result was total website destruction.

Reset whatever you need to get me back to nothing and explain how to install wordpress again.
OR
Reset the site to just after wordpress is installed and i can spend another 2 days loading my pages.

This time I will add a backup method.

Thanks,
Tom
3 posts Page 1 of 1