Bringing your own domain to Personal Hosting

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by shipo99 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:58 pm
Sonic offers Personal Web Hosting as a complete system for their customers. However, if you already have your domain name registered there is currently no way to employ it with the Sonic Personal Hosting. This seems like more of an oversight than a planed decision. The webpage design looks to handle everything for a first time web page builder. It handles getting the the domain name, setting up the DNS, etc. But it doesn't offer a means to employ a domain that the user already has obtained.

This is most unfortunate, because it precludes people from bringing their Personal websites from another host to Sonic. Obviously there is no technical reason for this to occur, and from a business point of view it doesn't make any sense either. Therefore it would seem to be a simple oversight in design.

It would be simple enough to update this form to include an already existing domain name thus allowing more customers to make use of the Personal Web Hosting.

https://members.sonic.net/websites/pers ... /index.php
Sonic Personal Web Hosting.png
Sonic Personal Web Hosting.png (40.21 KiB) Viewed 32845 times
by drew.phillips » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:11 pm
Hi,

As mentioned on the Personal Hosting wiki page, Personal hosting is only available for new, unregistered domain names.

The deal is that Sonic will cover the domain registration fee for the first year and provide free personal hosting for as long as you keep the domain registered with us and pay to renew it yearly. It is only available to connectivity customers, and can only be used for one domain.

While you could transfer your domain registration to Sonic, we don't offer the promo for existing domains.

I hope that clears up any confusion. If I can answer any additional questions, let me know.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
2 posts Page 1 of 1