change hosting directory doesn't change page urls - wordpress

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by plana » Sat May 20, 2017 12:43 pm
I built a wordpress site in a subdirectory, as my client wanted to keep their current website live at their primary domain. When we were ready to launch the new site using the primary domain, I was prompted by the tech to change the hosting directory, choosing the sub-directory the site was built on. Now I can access the new site by typing in the primary domain, but all of the secondary pages have the temporary domain (example.users.sonic.net/example_example).

I tried changed the url in the config.php file and it causes a php error for the secondary pages. I tried changing the url in the general settings to the primary domain name, it also caused a php error for the secondary pages. I tried reseting the permalinks as well. No go.

No one in tech support can help me with this problem.

I am pretty ready to take the site to another hosting company.
by joemuller » Mon May 22, 2017 5:54 pm
Hello, I'd be glad to take a look at your site.

Can you send me details on which domains/installs are not working via private message? You can also send an email to support@sonic.net and put 'attn joemuller' in the title - it should find its way to me.

In general, you'll want to make sure to update the 'Site URL' in Wordpress Admin panel before moving anything around, as fixing it after the fact involves changing both wp-config.php and the 'siteurl' option in the database. (If you have Shell Access turned on for your account, you can use the MySQL command-line tool on the server along with the credentials found in wp-config.php to gain direct access to the database.)

-- Joe
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
2 posts Page 1 of 1