Wordpress dashboard loading SLOOOOOW

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by dwhittaker » Wed May 10, 2017 1:06 pm
Any developers out there who use Word Press: have you experienced your dashboard loading super super slowly? Every single click on anything takes forever? Suddenly mine is. It seemed to happen right after I started uploading images for my portfolio. I decided to re-optimize all the images to the smallest JPG's possible. Portfolio folder went from 124MB to 51MB but that seemed to have little effect. There's a remote possibility that the latest update to my template did something but I haven't posed that question to the developers.

I do notice a lot of other people online posting about this same problem.

I have super fast fiber optic connection, up to date browsers and Mac running OS 10.9.5. Nothing to account for how slow this is.

If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears....
by drew.phillips » Wed May 10, 2017 1:40 pm
Is this happening on one or all of your WP installs? Also, does the site itself seem to load slowly or just the admin dashboard?

I see all but one of your WP installs are outdated. Updating might help, and is highly recommended in any case due to vulnerabilities in older versions of WordPress.

Feel free to PM me directly with any details you don't want to share here.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by dwhittaker » Wed May 10, 2017 4:02 pm
Thanks for responding Drew. I only have one install that I'm currently using, the one that's up to date. My "in development" WP-based, one page website also loads very slowly.

I've spoken to a couple of very knowledgable and super helpful guys in your Tech Support dept. about this. One guy felt that it was a DNS issue with CenturyLink and had me change mine from the one I've always had to a Google DNS. That seemed to immediately help... but that was only temporary and it's now just as slow. I have to reload my Dashboard and my website quite often to download everything or access any tools.

And yes I've cleared my cache many times to no avail. I've also deleted unused plugins and deactivated a couple others thinking there might be some conflict. Didn't have any effect.

The weird thing is, it's not consistent. Sometimes it loads fast but most of the time it all loads very slowly.

Any thoughts?
by drew.phillips » Wed May 10, 2017 4:10 pm
If it's intermittent, it's entirely possible that the slowdowns are a result of high load on our web cluster which happens from time to time. Next time you observe the slow page loads, make note of the time and we can check it against our monitors to see if a high load alert coincides with the time you noted.

One thing worth looking at would be to run your site through Google's PageSpeed insights and see what suggestions they have. Setting up caching, minifying resources, and compressing images together can make a noticeable difference.

But if you want to PM me your current URL, I'd be happy to take a quick look at the site and see how it loads here from Sonic a few times during the day.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
4 posts Page 1 of 1