Can't access phpMyAdmin

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by richw » Thu May 04, 2017 11:16 am
I can't access phpMyAdmin. I called this in to support and they are checking it. When I try to access one database, it gives me an error for the login credentials. I cleared cache and restarted the browser, but that didn't cure the problem. I copied the password from my records, so it should be exactly right. I tried a different database. In this case, it tried to access a page and continued until it timed out. Probably the phpMyAdmin server needs to be rebooted. I'll try again later today.

The website that uses the database does not seem to have a problem accessing the database, just the administrative tool.
by drew.phillips » Thu May 04, 2017 11:39 am
Hi Rich,

Can you try now? The tool was connecting to the wrong customer SQL server for that account due to a change I made this morning. It should now be able to determine the correct host.

Let me know if you're still having trouble getting in.

Thanks for the report!
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by richw » Fri May 05, 2017 10:01 am
I am now able to access one of the databases (richw_gm) but not the other (richw_stats). When I try to log into the second I get "Please make sure you enter your password correctly. ..."

I am using Chrome on the Mac. I cleared the browser cache, shut down Chrome, and restarted it. This does not cure the problem. I get the same result on a Windows 10 computer in another location using Firefox.

I would reset the password, except I'm not sure how to do that for the administrative password if it isn't accepting the one I have. I've used this password recently, so I don't understand why it isn't working now.
by drew.phillips » Fri May 05, 2017 11:04 am
I sent you a private message with some questions and details on the account and password being used.

You can reset the database passwords from Member Tools without needing the actual password, but if you have a site on our hosting platform using that credential it will no longer work and need to be updated.
Drew Phillips
by richw » Fri May 05, 2017 11:26 am
Drew, I didn't see the e-mail message. I sent you a message to see if maybe it would work if you reply to it.
by drew.phillips » Fri May 05, 2017 11:28 am
Got your message and replied :)
Drew Phillips
by richw » Fri May 05, 2017 2:24 pm
OK, I got your advice. I tried it a second time and it let me in. This is bizarre, but it now gives me access. Thanks for looking into the problem and getting me at least a workaround! :D
by drew.phillips » Fri May 05, 2017 2:57 pm
I took another look and there was some shenanigans with us setting phpMyAdmin cookies for reasons that probably no longer apply.

Removing that line of code to force a phpMyAdmin cookie seems to have fixed the issue for me in Chrome. I couldn't reproduce it in Firefox but indeed in Chrome it seemed like the first try (after a fresh login to Member Tools) always said it was incorrect and then would work.

After the change I was able to get in on the first attempt with Chrome repeatedly after numerous attempts.

I'm hoping this is all it was and is fixed now. Keep me posted if you still get the bad password message on the first try.
Drew Phillips
8 posts Page 1 of 1